Author Topic: VEMS DUAL VANOS solenoid controls explained  (Read 13908 times)

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
VEMS DUAL VANOS solenoid controls explained
« on: March 07, 2014, 05:35:40 pm »
Since there is a bit misleading/mis-presented information about how the dual vanos controls work here is a little explanation.
Dual vanos referes to dual solenoid control cam adjustment mechanism employed by BMW ///M , normal BMW engines run on a single solenoid for each cam.

Two readily available channels are required per camshaft. These need to be high side driven channels as the solenoids are grounded on their other input wire.

Output type : Dual (vanos)

Near PWM-ing period range :
This field refers to as how many degrees away from the target the solenoids will be operational
The PWM duty cycle is also proportional to the current distance away from the target.
This needs documenting as I was under the impression that PWM-ing would take place until the target and actual angle are within this period. However that is not the case.

Example :
60deg range
+10deg error
Duty cycle : 16% on one solenoid. 0% on the other solenoid.

60deg range
+20deg error
Duty cycle : 33% on one solenoid. 0% on the other solenoid.

60deg range
+30deg error
Duty cycle : 50% on one solenoid. 0% on the other solenoid.

Ultimately giving this table

Error   Duty cycle
10       16%
20       33%
30       50%
40       66%
50       83%
60       100%

DC% =  Error / PWM Range

If the error is in the other direction same applies to the other solenoid.

So by halving the range so do you double the DC% at the same amount of error. This will effect the responsiveness of the system
To low of a range value and your system might become unresponsive completely as errors past the range will turn off both solenoids, rendering any control impossible (with time oil does leak from the control chambers and the cam might come back into range).

Improved setup would allow any range but turn this value into a P value (which it already is in effect) and clip the limit at the "range" value
i.e.
@60deg range with 70deg error it would still yield 100% duty cycle, not turn of the solenoid.
@60deg range and 30deg error you get 50%
@30deg range and 30deg error you get 100%
@30deg range and 70deg error you get 100% and so on .

Start off with lower values and see if you get alot of overshooting, raise to lessen overshooting.

PWM Period : 25-375Hz
This should be the same as the standard system as long as the standard system operates on the same principles of control as VEMS does.
Other systems might be pulsing both solenoids at different amounts to move the camshaft slowly or more smoothly.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 05:55:09 pm by gunni »

Offline GintsK

• BHP: 50
Re: VEMS DUAL VANOS solenoid controls explained
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 10:10:37 pm »
Very helpful! Thanks!

Question: VANOS S50B30/32 When operating chamber is closed for both -  oil feed and oil drainage (= cam position fixed hydraulically): solenoids operated or solenoids non operated?

Offline gunni

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 12:51:29 pm »
Technically both. You can activate both and "LOCK" the cam, or turn both of and "LOCK" the cam.
It will be more load on the engine with both open to maintain oil pressure.

however ultimately there is different leaking amounts between the two chambers and the cam will move to one side. More likely the retarded natural resting position.

Offline VEMS

• Administrator
  • BHP: 22
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 01:25:36 pm »
Hello Gunni,

Thanks for the excellent explanation of Dual solenoid VANOS control.

A bit more elaboration related to which solenoid is active when (copied from help, but refined a bit):
  • Under 450 RPM : OutputA and OutputB inactive
  • Measured = 0 ... target - 1.4 deg - PWM-ing range : OutputA active and OutputB inactive (Cam pulse too late, fastest possible control in other direction)
  • Measured = (target - 1.4 deg - PWM-ing range) ... (target - 1.4 deg) : OutputA active and OutputB PWM-ing (closer to target = PWM duty higher)
  • Measured = (target - 1.4 deg) .... (target + 1.4 deg): OutputA and OutputB both active (we are around target +/- 1.4 degrees, dead zone; block cam position)
  • Measured = (target + 1.4 deg) .... (target + 1.4 deg + PWM-ing range): OutputA PWM-ing and OutputB active (closer to target = PWM duty higher)
  • Measured = (target + 1.4 deg + PWM-ing range) ... 360 deg: OutputA inactive and OutputB active (Cam pulse too early, fastest possible control in other direction)

If we work on further clarification of this list, perhaps with some examples, i can add this information to help to make it more clear for everyone.

Best regards, Dave

« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 01:32:49 pm by VEMS »

Offline gunni

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 11:08:18 pm »
Hi Dave.

That list is very unclear as

(target - 1.4 deg - PWM-ing range) ... (target - 1.4 deg) :

Doesn´t explain what is actually going on . I´m not sure what the "..." are supposed to represent

Kinda looks like

IF
Measured angle > (target - 1.4 - range) & < (target - 1.4 )

THEN
OutputA = 100%
OutputB = XX%

A graph would be more usefull really
X axis = Range both directions from target (target being 0deg error)
Y axis = amount of PWM for each solenoid.
If what I think happens then both solenoids are active within the 1.4deg error window each way. So there will be a linear curve for each solenoid from max error to 1.4deg over the error.

Something like this?

Maybe you could put up a better graphic of exactly what the PWM would be for each solenoid in the range?
It would be far more useful, might even be worth having a live graphic in Vemstune that shows this ?

Offline GintsK

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 07:02:10 am »
Technically both. You can activate both and "LOCK" the cam, or turn both of and "LOCK" the cam.

however ultimately there is different leaking amounts between the two chambers and the cam will move to one side. More likely the retarded natural resting position.
S50B3(VANOS on itake only) I have removed OEM diodes from solenoids and now INJ outputs (N-FETS) is used to actuate them. What is right configuration: inverted or non-inverted?

Offline gunni

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 10:19:31 am »
On the S50B30 they are low side driven solenoids.
Page 150 of a file named e36_94.pdf , so non inverted I would say.

Offline VEMS

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 11:48:33 am »
Put the info above into graph as requested with two PWMing ranges as examples (60/9 degrees). For dual solenoid we usually find a narrow range (aggressive slope) provides the best control:

If there are any uncertainties after review or further elaboration required, feel free to ask.

Best regards, Dave

Offline GintsK

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 07:27:57 pm »
On the S50B30 they are low side driven solenoids.
Page 150 of a file named e36_94.pdf , so non inverted I would say.

OK. Thanks!

What is suggested frequency for S50 VANOS?

Offline GintsK

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 09:32:51 pm »

Just tried on S50B30.
No cam is locked just in case when solenoids are unpowered. Otherwise control is totally imprecise.

Both solenoids are unpowered at target when my I259 outputs are selected i2,i3 (inverted)
I got precise and fast control with 25Hz and   22deg PWMing range.

But there is serious problem with permanently powered solenoids when engine not running. Each solenoid draws around 3A!

Another problem when IGN outputs are used: software-wise it is impossible to interchange  control channels (i3,i2 in my case)

Gints

Offline VEMS

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 09:12:14 am »
Hello GintsK,

Even when using IGN outputs, you would need to configure normal non-inverted channels to get the desired control as outlined in my posted graph below. Inverting the channels alters control loop behavior.

Below 450 rpm both solenoids should be unpowered. When the control direction is swapped, just switch the solenoid wires on the EC36 connector.

Best regards, Dave

Offline GintsK

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 12:35:06 pm »
Dave,
in beginning I had "2,3" and with interchanged wires between both solenoids (because it is impossible to configure "3,2" when I259).
So then at stalled engine solenoids was unpowered, but at target - powered. And control was very poor with this setting: cam position changes with jumps and cam often stays around 5 degrees off from target. I tried wide variety of frequencies, ranges - bad, very bad, extremely bad...

In my final wiring/config control is very fast and solid. Owner will rewire VANOS supply in parallel with fuel pump to avoid unwanted current draw.

From my understanding my working setup keep oil chamber closed = cam locked whan target is reached. (Yes! with "i2,i3" solenoids are unpowered at target - bit confusing from VEMS. But very logic solution from BMW!)

"2,3" keeps chamber opened to both sides: feed and drain. Cam is not locked. Control all the time tries to restrict one flow but result is very poor.

Gints
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 01:52:34 pm by GintsK »

Offline VEMS

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2014, 02:42:18 pm »
Hello GintsK,

If you have a proposal to improve the control (or perhaps even reading of OEM BMW control algorithm), could you provide a graph of the desired control sematics ?
I could review and implement if it is better for everyone, we welcome any constructive feedback.

Best regards, Dave

Offline GintsK

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2014, 03:06:44 pm »
Control algorithm itself looks good.
Problem is powered solenoids on stalled engine.

Regarding BMW. It seems clear and simple. Chamber with two solenoids. when both closed cam is locked. At least on S50B30 (VANOS just on inlet cam) solenoids are closed when unpowered.