Author Topic: Idle Integral deadband or minmap  (Read 12597 times)

Offline fphil

• BHP: 6
Re: Idle Integral deadband or minmap
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2014, 02:06:24 pm »
Meanwhile I have opened the Dave's link for the updated help. OK for the minmap parameter. One more question.

It is said concerning "Integral Increase Limit" (decrease) :
"High limit for the IAC Integral, any desired value higherr than this is railed to High Limit"

Is it a saturation of the IAC integral value which is used by the PID while the errors keep summing up?
or is that sum freezed, the errors not being summed up anymore

Offline VEMS

• Administrator
  • BHP: 22
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2014, 04:49:41 pm »
Hello FPhil,

To the question of updating 69 files, the answer should of course be YES. Updating files manually or automatic invokes the same procedure, therefore has the same net effect (if answering YES).

VemsTune program changes (as available on: http://vems.hu/download/v3gui/) are only made when there are changes to the program itself (executable or underlying database structure), rest of the updates are available through update server (ini_update) this also counts for the latests dialogs and menu help files.

The integral increase/decrease limits are limits of the integral itself (the sum) to use your analogy, the errors are not being summed anymore when reaching either of these limits.
Secondly there are also absolute limits on the total output (Reference + PID) which are in "Idle PWM/Stepper Hardware settings", "Max/Min PWM/Steps Allowed" again using your analogy this is a limit on max output value, errors might still be summing up if integral limit is not yet reached.

If there is anything still unclear, please let me know so i can elaborate further in help to make it more clear for everyone.

Best regards,

Dave

Offline fphil

• BHP: 6
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2014, 09:29:47 pm »
To the question of updating 69 files, the answer should of course be YES. Updating files manually or automatic invokes the same procedure, therefore has the same net effect (if answering YES).
but why 69 files? ok I shall give it a try

VemsTune program changes (as available on: http://vems.hu/download/v3gui/) are only made when there are changes to the program itself (executable or underlying database structure), rest of the updates are available through update server (ini_update) this also counts for the latests dialogs and menu help files.
I was not aware of that, thanks to quote

If there is anything still unclear, please let me know so i can elaborate further in help to make it more clear for everyone.
ok. Concerning
"Threshold for Activating IAC
Activate IAC when this number of degrees have been exceeded to adjust idle RPM.. "
Would you confirm that when "this number of degrees have been exceeded " one gets PID IAC control AND ign. advance  control.

btw, I shall put a proposal for fw update. I think there is a need for a deadband on the PID command as a last block before the command to be sent to the actuator.
(In that case the integral is kept summing up, which is unarmful in the neighborhood of the target)
Indeed for a noisy rpm and high P, the command is unnecessary noisy about the target and could even lead to instability due to phase lag.

Best regards,
Philippe
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 01:17:23 pm by fphil »

Offline VEMS

• Administrator
  • BHP: 22
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2014, 09:12:04 am »
Hi FPhil

Why 69 files ? Good question (keep in mind that most files are sub 10kb). 69 files because i added help for certain dialogs to previous firmware version profiles also (back-ported), that way even users of older firmware versions get help additions even when they were not available at the time the firmware was released.

Threshold for Activating IAC (the question was hiding a bit in the quote almost missed it :) ): This is the way it was intended a long time ago (it seems i forgot to remove that variable from dialog), it is no longer used. When in idle mode, both IAC and advanced based idle are active always (when enabled).

We welcome any proposal for firmware enhancements, i will review and implement (if feasible). Thanks for your feedback!

Best regard, Dave