Author Topic: Recommended GPS module  (Read 5543 times)

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 41
    • Sävar Turbo Site
Recommended GPS module
« on: March 23, 2014, 11:52:39 pm »
I'm looking at connecting a GPS module on the serial port of the VEMS ECU and logging the NMEA data along with the regular data to the on-board SD card.

The second serial port is not what I'll use in this case, but for other reading this post - know that this is also possible but the port is not pre-wired unless you ask to have it when the ECU is ordered.

There are a bunch to pick from :
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/gps-module-nmea

Another parameter is that it should be easy to power (+5V or +12V)  and an optional separate antenna.

What are you guys using?

Offline Seight-v8

• BHP: 6
    • Members Page - Scott Richmond
Re: Recommended GPS module
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 09:47:58 pm »
I've had mine wired in to the ecu for over 2 years now, but it doesnt work in anything over firmware version 1.1.93.....something about the logging "stuffed byte format"...

I've asked vemshq numerous times without a reply....even tried bluetooth and vems display with my phone....and still no gps logging...

Not enough people using it maybe..to be of interest in fixing...

I have a serial one wired to ecu comm port two..

When it does work though I find its a very nice feature to understand where I was if i need to find a config fault while driving...

I am sure you will have more luck than me in making it work, so keep us updated in what happens please..

Regards

Scott
Engine:Rover V8 4600cc
Vems Firmware:V1.2.38, GPS, SDcard, LCD & Dual lambdas, Wasted spark, 36-1 trigger, Cam Sync & Bluetooth serial.

http://www.vems.hu/wiki/index.php?page=MembersPage%2FScottRichmond

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 41
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 11:46:44 pm »
Well.. my other large concern is SD card logging which plainly does not work well. If we turn back the clock 3-4 years then maybe it sort of worked ok. With recent firmwares it's just a mess and not cut out for racing (or advanced use).

It seems worse for situations where you turn the ECU on/off at any point, but worked well in the past so recent firmwares seems to have a bad way of dealing with this.

I also have serious problems reading the card over serial port at any speed (timeout) while it works great in a SD card reader plugged into the PC.

Do note, this is based on testing on several ECUs, but in particular I have an ECU that works well with SD card logging with older firmware (pre 1.1.9x) and not so well at all with recent (1.2.x+, tried  many as well as the latest 1.2.23). The only way to get a proper log on the SD card is to turn on the ECU, start logging to SD card _manually, start the engine and do whatever, stop the engine, stop the SD card logging manually, remove card and put in SD card reader - voila!

Maybe the type/model/make of card is very important, but it should not be unless there is a problem conforming to a standard (card vs firmware).

The whole point is to datalog the GPS speed to get live propeller slip data in a boat.

Offline Seight-v8

• BHP: 6
    • Members Page - Scott Richmond
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 08:32:53 pm »
I use logging to memory card, and it works ok with latest firmwares, although i cant change the sd card baud rate from 57000, otherwise I get dropped connections all the time.....I just remove the card now and use my pc to get the logs from.

The best way I've found to get GPS data is to use a laptop and connect the GPS sensor to that then use it in vemstune.....this always works.....but is hard even driving with a laptop in a car never mind a boat.....

I can use a small netbook if I need to...just hard work.....when it should work hard wired....

I do now use a Bluetooth serial port too....with my ecu...maybe a Bluetooth GPS to Bluetooth serial port would work on comm port 2 somehow...

Same the GPS doesn't work in vems display for android either, although I haven't used version 3.2 yet to try it.

regards

scott
Engine:Rover V8 4600cc
Vems Firmware:V1.2.38, GPS, SDcard, LCD & Dual lambdas, Wasted spark, 36-1 trigger, Cam Sync & Bluetooth serial.

http://www.vems.hu/wiki/index.php?page=MembersPage%2FScottRichmond