Author Topic: Sec trig position bad when revving off idle  (Read 7115 times)

Offline BigD

• BHP: 6
Sec trig position bad when revving off idle
« on: June 30, 2013, 12:27:38 am »
Starting to dial in a the turbo setup. We noticed that on throttle tip in, it hits a super rich area of the map, misfires and VEMS throws a trigger error. Is this normal or can it be a real trigger error somehow? Or does VEMS throw a trigger error on a misfire? FW is 1.2.11 The same wiring etc that ran perfect for a few years naturally aspirated, and once it exits the rich area, it runs just fine with no trigger errors anywhere. We'll clean up the map obviously but for now I'm just wondering if I really have trigger problems.

EDIT: Looking at the log more specifically, it seems that the rich misfire might just be a coincidence, the error is a sec trig position error when revving hard enough off idle. Which doesn't make sense to me as the sec trig angle range is set to 1-360 (ie ignore)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 04:01:32 pm by BigD »

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 41
    • Sävar Turbo Site
Re: Trigger errors when misfire?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 02:01:19 pm »
Your ignition system sends a bolt of lightning to ground, and not in the spark plug gap. RFI is a fact. Things don't usually work out too good and the trigger input senses extra pulses it didn't expect and reports trigger errors.

Either you have too little margin for error with the sensitivity of your trigger input, or it's simply a serious ignition system issue. Too little to go on to say anything else.

Offline BigD

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 03:11:39 pm »
I just don't understand why it's completely happy under all other conditions, but after a rich misfire, it reports a trigger error...

Here's a log of an example from last night:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByBmlxRqPDHRaUE2cHhrODE5MHc

Offline BigD

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 03:33:22 pm »

Offline BigD

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 03:59:45 pm »
Looking more at the specific error "Sec trig position bad", the trigger angle is set to 1-360... from what I understand that should not result in position errors.

Offline Joof

• BHP: 2
Re: Sec trig position bad when revving off idle
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 05:20:48 pm »
I have the same error occurring under the same conditions (heavy off idle).  No adverse reaction though (i.e. car drives absolutely fine despite it).   Hope you are able to shed some more light on it!