Author Topic: Problem with Firmware Upload / Validation fails  (Read 7592 times)

Offline Infinity

• BHP: 0
Problem with Firmware Upload / Validation fails
« on: May 26, 2013, 12:19:09 pm »
Hi, I have a serious problem with my Vems V3.

The car ran fine until yesterday when I stopped the engine after a trip to to the gas station but after that i could not start it anymore. First i thought the fuel pump died because it was out of function but it seems to be the Vems has a problem.

VemsTune 1.3.1 / 1.4.9
Vems V3.3 PnP for Peugeot 106 GTI
Vems Serial Number 1869
Vems Firmware 1.1.97 / updated last year from 1.1.64
VemsTune runs in VMware Fusion on MacbookPro (had no problems at all until now / tried different laptop and in different car too)

- After connecting the Vems to the laptop i got the following message:

Boot Mode detected

- Then I tried the 'stay'-Mode and uploaded the firmware 1.1.97 (and lateron other version) again. The upload process looks normal for me. (He's copying 4xx Pages) But after that the validation fails:

Firmware is different.

- The Vems do not show the real SerialNumber which is n001869:

SerialNumer: UNKNOWN

I found some other hints from Jorgen here in the forum which I tried using megatune / megaloader
http://www.vemssupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=1421.0
Again I got validation problems:

error at page: 0
too many errors, bailing out

Directly after the failed validation the connection to the Vems is normal. Its possible to upload configs and even the engine starts (in some kind of security mode). But after switching the power off and on again the boot mode error appears again.

Until now I could not find any solution for this failure and I hope someone here has an idea what happend to the Vems and maybe a hint what I can try next.

Thanks in advance and greetings from Hamburg!
Andreas

Offline fphil

• BHP: 6

Offline Infinity

• BHP: 0
Re: Problem with Firmware Upload / Validation fails
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 09:46:19 pm »
Hi Phillipe,

the loopback with pin2&3 works and I also get the expected result from the terminal connection.
Sadly, after the firmware upload the validation still fails.

Regards
Andreas

Offline fphil

• BHP: 6
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 05:19:29 pm »
have you tried info@vems.hu?

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 41
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 05:24:00 pm »
Since your on firmware 1.1.97, I would upload 1.2.11 and try from there (it's the latest available through the firmware web tool).
The differences are not significant as far as config changes.

You _must_ use the latest VemsTune from 2013-02-25.

To prevent accidental bootloader mode, these days I solder a 10K resistor between pin 3 and 5. This prevents crosstalk between RX & TX, which is what causes the ECU to think they are shorted and enters bootloader mode.

What has happened to you.. I'm not sure. A corrupt firmware is rare, when it happens it's usually ignition system related - something is going bad. If you are having problems with disconnecting USB adapters then your answer is clear.