Author Topic: 2nd wideband  (Read 17005 times)

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 19
2nd wideband
« on: March 21, 2013, 10:53:18 pm »
Has anyone made this work on their VEMS yet?  It's getting dangerously close to the top of my list of things to do...

Thanks

Offline Sprocket

• BHP: 29
Re: 2nd wideband
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 11:22:37 pm »
Yes :)

you will probibly have to solder some components though. I updated the Wiki firmware changes page to that effect

1.1.98 - NOT released (only for testing !) and will never be released

both WBO2 channels are displayed in VemsTune (and captured in vemslog).

when ordering assembled controller, request in order comment that both WBO2 channels are tested (otherwise some pins like heater2 might be used for other functions, like analog input channel)

Respecting the above, also ensure R103 75k soldered on existing or self built boards.

Calibration is done with the calibration wizard. plug the secondary sensor into the primary chanel, and find the calibration constant for that sensor, then input that into the secondary WBO2 calibration value. Obviously unplug the secondary sensor from the primary chanel ;)

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 11:49:19 pm »
Thanks.  Yes, it'll be a component fest, but that's not really a problem - I have a minion for that these days :)

Offline Seight-v8

• BHP: 6
    • Members Page - Scott Richmond
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 08:08:44 pm »
I am also interested in how this works & what needs to be done......

Do you know where the info is for this or what wiring needs to be done to make it work.

I've tried a wiki search but came up with very little.

cheers

scott
Engine:Rover V8 4600cc
Vems Firmware:V1.2.38, GPS, SDcard, LCD & Dual lambdas, Wasted spark, 36-1 trigger, Cam Sync & Bluetooth serial.

http://www.vems.hu/wiki/index.php?page=MembersPage%2FScottRichmond

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 11:25:17 pm »
OK.  Here goes...
I've installed the second WB02 pump driver FET and the resistor Sprocket mentioned.  I have disconnected the knock channel, wheel speed and ground wires from pins 1, 8 and 17 on the EC18 connector.  The knock sensor is now on pin 2 and the wheel speed on 3, replacing one of the analog inputs.

Anything else before I start testing?

Offline Sprocket

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 12:54:24 am »
I think that it was that simple. The only thing I cannot be sure of is the EC18 pin combinations with other functions, as the way I build my box,(two EC36's ;) ) I never needed to use any other pins for other functions other than their original intended. I think some boxes configured for external MAP sensor use the Specfet pads and share one of the secondary WBO2 pins.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 12:56:14 am by Sprocket »

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 11:52:04 pm »
I have internal MAP, so not a problem.  I use the specfet pads for analog in connections - they're not used by either wideband channel.

Offline Seight-v8

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 05:15:47 pm »
so I've ordered a second lambda sensor so I can try and make this work.....

anyone got some pics of the areas that need modifying/installing in the ecu......

As my 2off knock sensors are wired in to terminals 1,2 & 3 of ec18, I presume I can use any other spare ones that I don't require.

cheers

scott
Vems Firmware:V1.2.38, GPS, SDcard, LCD & Dual lambdas, Wasted spark, 36-1 trigger, Cam Sync & Bluetooth serial.

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 07:49:07 pm »
I have added one SMT resistor next to the outside edge of the EC36 connector (will take a photo shortly, but it's probably easier to look at the top side artwork PDF) and a TO220 FET in the second wideband channel position - this is completely obvious because it should be the only one of these that is empty.

The second wideband channel is all done by tracks on the PCB, so it's a case of moving the knock etc out of its way rather than anything else.  You shouldn't have a problem finding space.

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 02:07:16 am »
OK, so far so bad...  Got some time to play with the car at the weekend.  I have 2 known working sensors, and connected them up.  But only the primary channel gives readings.  Clearly I've not done something right.  (Yes, I remembered to configure the 2nd wideband parameters after a while)

Going through the test sequence for the WBO2 from the manual (Shown here: http://www.vems.hu/wiki/index.php?page=GenBoard%2FManual%2FWBSensorControllerCompleting)

The primary channel tests as fine.  However the secondary channel does not.
I get an unstable voltage across pins 5 & 6 of the 2nd wideband connector of ranging from 10mV up to 500mV.  (It's 120mV on the primary)
I get zero volts between pins 1 and 5, but get the correct voltage between pin 5 and Gnd.

I have a list of components to check are populated.  Wish me luck!  (Or save me the pain and tell me what I've forgotten to look at please ;) )

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 02:07:16 am »
I think I have it working now.

My ECU was missing:

R137, R140, R28, R29 and C22.
I have not found C83 yet, so I don't know if I need to fit it.

I have gone through the build tests, and get 150mv across pins 5 & 6, and 0.445v between 1 and 5.  So all appears to be fine.  Next step, testing on a vehicle.

Offline Sprocket

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 07:59:28 pm »
c83 is on the bottom side

Offline Seight-v8

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2013, 07:19:35 pm »
Wired my second wideband sensor in today, only had to disconnect one of the knock sensors on ec18 pin one, and add one resistor to the ecu to make it work.

Done the calibration on the second sensor, then fired it up.

Worked straight way and the difference between the two banks is only 0.01 to 0.02 lambda, so pleased with all the results so far.

Next I need to find a new home for the knock sensor wire.

MOT and driving time coming up for me.

scott

Offline Sprocket

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2013, 10:25:45 pm »
Wired my second wideband sensor in today, only had to disconnect one of the knock sensors on ec18 pin one, and add one resistor to the ecu to make it work.

This was my experince also. Or at least I think it was :D

I have just found this though which might help others if they need other components.

http://www.vems.hu/wiki/index.php?page=GenBoard%2FManual%2FWBSensorControllerCompleting

I have a V3.3 board, perhaps the earlier boards did not have these components, but I will have to double check now the DNB has brought it to my attention, as I did this some time back when I first saw the firmware for duel wideband, and at the time I could not see the second channel on a bench set up, unlike the first channel. I'm sure I checked all the components were there but, I tend to forget myself these days  :D

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2013, 02:29:38 am »
My dual wideband board is a 3.6, so will be a different build state to a 3.3
It should be noted that my 3.3 board had 2 WB02 heater FETs, but the 3. 6 only had one.