Author Topic: speed sensor using early VW electronic sender  (Read 6907 times)

Offline koabi

• BHP: 0
speed sensor using early VW electronic sender
« on: March 17, 2013, 06:59:18 pm »
I installed a VW Corrado G60 vehicle speed sensor on my transmission.  The sensor itself has 3 pins.  +12v, ground, signal output.  The signal I connected to pin 8 on EC18.  I do not see any speed readings at all.

Possibilities:
my v3.2 board is not equipped for a speed sensor
the ECU is expecting VR and the sensor is probably hall type
misconfiguration in VT (I expect that VT would show some speed just not accurate speed, though if anything was working)

-koabi

PS:  I hooked the signal to a new electronic speedometer I have and it works, though with some strange issues particularly at low speed.  It's accurate otherwise.

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
Re: speed sensor using early VW electronic sender
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 09:20:45 pm »
Are you able to measure the voltages when it´s not running and when it is running to give an indication of the output if any,

how many pins does it have? did you put 5v into any of them?

Offline koabi

• BHP: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 09:45:31 pm »
3 pins, i supplied +12v.  I have a car I can compare with to see if I should have supplied +5v.

Offline jrussell

• VEMS USA
  • Administrator
  • BHP: 15
    • VEMS USA
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 05:10:29 am »
Hopefully that speed sensor only outputs 0-5v, not 0-12v. Remember all the analog inputs are not 12v tolerant, and will kill the ECU if you aren't careful about that. The wheelspeed modification is 12v tolerant.

It's hard to say if the ECU has the wheelspeed input set up though unless you send an email to info@vems.hu with the serial number and ask.
VEMS USA - Located in beautiful Burlington, Vermont
1988 RX7 Turbo

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 08:23:23 pm »
Hopefully that speed sensor only outputs 0-5v, not 0-12v. Remember all the analog inputs are not 12v tolerant, and will kill the ECU if you aren't careful about that. The wheelspeed modification is 12v tolerant.

It's hard to say if the ECU has the wheelspeed input set up though unless you send an email to info@vems.hu with the serial number and ask.

Might be an idea to make this something that can be looked up on a webpage for dealers. I often need to re-check what my customers have bought in the past.