Author Topic: How does Cam-Sync work?  (Read 5244 times)

Offline wazzu70

• BHP: 1
How does Cam-Sync work?
« on: January 10, 2013, 08:12:43 pm »
Maybe a simple question, but how does cam-sync work in VEMS. I get how it would work with a one pin VR setup, but each hall setup I have looked at (BMW) is different.

Assuming not all secondary trigger impulse senders are the same format, how does VEMS know what to do?

The inline 6 engines use an impulse sender thats kind of triangular shaped. The 4cyl engines use one that is more of a plus sign, with half the circle inverse of the opposite side.

Just curious how VEMS can tell the difference which system you are using. The OEM ecu can be calibrated for a specific signal, but the VEMS works with many different types.

Thanks!
BMW E30 M42 project

Offline GintsK

• BHP: 50
Re: How does Cam-Sync work?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 08:39:47 pm »
With one signal per cam rev everything is easy. Sync starts from next missing gap after the cam impulse.

With more impulses you have to configure filter based on tooth count from missing gap. So virtually again VEMS "sees" one impulse per cam rev.

If you are faced with some difficulties - just capture triggerlog and share with us.

Gints

Offline wazzu70

• BHP: 1
Re: How does Cam-Sync work?
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 09:52:01 pm »
Gotcha, that makes more sense. I just remembered the help file saying to disable filtering.

Per my VR or hall secondary trigger question, my car is currently VR, but my ECU I believe is setup for hall (still confirming). I can use the OBDII parts for my engine to convert to hall pretty easily, so I am thinking that is a smarter route than converting the PCB for VR secondary trigger.
BMW E30 M42 project