Author Topic: where to start with AAN motronic VEMS?  (Read 13368 times)

Offline mswanson

• BHP: 4
where to start with AAN motronic VEMS?
« on: October 09, 2007, 04:13:16 pm »
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and VEMS in general so please be gentle  :)

As shipped I wasn't able to get the latest megatune downloaded off the vems website to talk with the ecu, so I went through the documentation and followed some of the guidelines here:

http://www.vems.hu/wiki/index.php?page=VemsAudiAan

after doing that I was finally able to load megatune and talk to the ECU, however all of the config settings are pretty much zero'd out.  I loaded this config manually by separating out the contents into config.txt and tables.txt:

http://www.vems.hu/files/MembersPage/MarcellGal/Audi/etc/mcd_mct_hl_AAN_runsfine.txt

I then ran generate-config12x12.bat (no errors) then upload-config.bat (also no errors).

After this process I can no longer communicate with the ECU through megatune?  (after a firmware reflash I'm back to square one, I can communicate with the ECU again but no config settings..)

What am I doing wrong here?  Does anyone have a base map that will help me get started?  This is on a bone stock US Spec 93 Audi S4 with AAN.

Any help would be great, thanks!

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
Re: where to start with AAN motronic VEMS?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 07:05:21 pm »
I've not had any experience of the Motronic compatible ECU, but I've never heard of a config being able to block RS232 communication.

Does this problem persist if you cycle the power?

Rob

Offline mswanson

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 07:35:12 pm »
I've not had any experience of the Motronic compatible ECU, but I've never heard of a config being able to block RS232 communication.

Does this problem persist if you cycle the power?

Rob

yes, however the firmware cant be all mucked up, the fuel pump primes for a moment on every key cycle, weather or not I can talk to it with megatune?

Is there any way to load a config other than using the batch files (eg something within the megatune interface)?  I see a file-open option but it looks for files with .msq extension, and I haven't seen any reference to base maps with this extension..

Offline mswanson

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 03:27:53 am »
additional data:

I can upload 1.1.23 firmware no problem using the uploader utility (not megatune).  The firmware also verifies just fine.  I can upload a config using the same tool, but when I try to verify the config I get an error about the serial line being flooded with junk charachters.

Any insight?  I'm basically stuck at this point..

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 09:32:08 am »
Serial line flooded with junk?  Are you using an RS232 to USB adaptor?

Offline mswanson

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 04:00:18 pm »
Side note:  If you need hosting for this forum contact me, its sooooooo slooooooooooow!  I run a server farm and might be able to help.

not using usb serial, no.  On my laptop I'm using a PCMCIA serial adapter, but just to be sure I am now testing on my desktop pc with a real serial port, same symptoms.

Still having issues, but at least now I think I understand _why_, but will need help in figuring out how to correct the problem. The ultimate issue is that the version of megatune I am running (apparently the latest available,  2.25 which I downloaded off the VEMS site) WILL NOT at ANY TIME establish a successful connection via the 'test' option in the menus. I think it has to do with the configuration of the version of megatune I'm running rather than a problem with the ecu or actual communications.. here's why:

I've got two versions of the VEMS upgrader tool on my hard drive, only ONE of them will connect to the ecu and allow me to do a firmware upgrade/verify: V3GUI-audi-1.1.24 ... the V3GUI-release WILL NOT talk to the ECU.

What to do next?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 04:03:31 pm by mswanson »

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 06:24:43 pm »
Hmmm, I'm not familiar with the V3 gui stuff, or the Audi specifics, to me it makes no sense either, I see you've put something on the wiki, I've updated this with the report above, and put it infront of the dev team.

Sorry I cant help more than this at this stage, the new software will be a learning curve for us all.

Rob

Offline mswanson

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 10:29:13 pm »
Hmmm, I'm not familiar with the V3 gui stuff, or the Audi specifics, to me it makes no sense either, I see you've put something on the wiki, I've updated this with the report above, and put it infront of the dev team.

Sorry I cant help more than this at this stage, the new software will be a learning curve for us all.

Rob

Hi Rob,

I figured out my megatune issues finally!  All of this because megatune didn't like my pcmcia to serial adapter!!  I discovered that it would load and verify the firmware fine but megatune was having none of it.  Connected to my workstation with a real serial port I was finally able to communicate with the ECU via megatune!

I connected a USB to serial converter to the laptop and megatune seemed to like that much better.   An hour or two of playing later and I have a smoothly running S4!

Thanks for your help, I'll be back with more questions if I have them.  I'll update the wiki with my experience..