Author Topic: My laptop seems not to be working when it is with a Serial to USB convertor  (Read 6016 times)

Offline Psi4gti

• BHP: 0
So I have an Acer Aspire one NETBOOK and use a USB to Serial convertor to access the VEMS software, most of the time i'll look at the VEMS software and most gauges seems not to move, I will try to log and the button will not change colors right away leading me to think that it's not logging when in reality it is. Is this a NETBOOK issue? Is it a Serial to USB adaptor?

I've been told that my Netbook is too slow to process this information and I've been told that it's the adapter and that i need an old laptop with a serial connector, can anyone drop some quick knowledge so that i know if i should buy a new and faster laptop or just get a refurbished DELL with a serial connector?

My current Netbook has an Intel Atom processor, 1.3Ghz and 1GB of RAM.

Thanks in advance  ;D

Offline koabi

Re: My laptop seems not to be working when it is with a Serial to USB convertor
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 06:02:58 am »
not all adapters are equal - which one do you have?

Offline Psi4gti

Offline koabi

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 04:58:17 am »
unfortunately, I am unable to find what chipset that cable is using.

You want one with the Prolific PL2303 chipset and some have had good results with an FTDI chipset adapter.

If you can't return the radioshack adapter you could split it open and see what chipset's within. 

Offline Psi4gti

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 12:17:18 am »
Thanks for the feedback Koabi but i just went ahead and picked up a Dell D630, has a serial port already and better hardware too, my Netbook was pretty small to work with so i'll keep it as a spare to run VAG-Com, etc.