Author Topic: What makes "sensor ground" different?  (Read 4178 times)

Offline wazzu70

• BHP: 1
What makes "sensor ground" different?
« on: January 21, 2013, 04:46:40 pm »
I am just curious what makes EC36pin26 different than the other grounds? I am assuming the PCB helps filter/isolate these grounds from noise.

If the sensor ground is more isolated from noise, doesn't connecting the sensor bundle with the main ground bundle reintroduce noise?

Just trying to understand how it all works :)
BMW E30 M42 project

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 41
    • Sävar Turbo Site
Re: What makes "sensor ground" different?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 05:23:07 pm »
The A/D input that measures the sensor has a circuit that starts at +5V and goes through internal resistance, then out the connector via the sensor and then back via the sensor ground. No other currents than what is needed for a clean input is running through here. The power grounds connect the PCB to the chassis ground in a separate circuit, with it's own associated voltage drop - or in other words, there is no current from the power ground wires running through the sensor ground which means no voltage drop is created because of it.

That's the short version that comes to mind, maybe someone else can chime in if you don't get what I said. :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 05:25:03 pm by mattias »

Offline wazzu70

• BHP: 1
Re: What makes "sensor ground" different?
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 05:40:49 pm »
Mattias, thats perfect and answers my question. I don't need more specific details :)
BMW E30 M42 project