Author Topic: Only able to use 2 ing channels  (Read 11267 times)

Offline se7ensport

• BHP: 6
Only able to use 2 ing channels
« on: July 01, 2012, 05:29:05 pm »
Just got a new VEMs unit with 6+2 ignition.  In test mode I am only able to activate ign channels 2 and 3, the firmware is 1.2.1 with settings imported from 1.1.96 (my old unit).

I've uploaded my config in the sharing center, what do I need to do to enable the other 4 channels?

http://vems.hu/vemstune/sharingcenter/reports.php?cmd=view&key=vUVFaj

They are physically in the unit.

Thanks
Alex

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 41
    • Sävar Turbo Site
Re: Only able to use 2 ing channels
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 06:21:52 pm »
So this is your setup ?

In your config you have dual-out enabled and you're only using 2+3 and 6+7.

What doesn't work and what is attached to those outputs?
Relays, passive coils, active coils?

Oh, and firmware 1.2.1 is intermediate non-release only for audi 135 tooth "c270 divbyN" (N=9, 27 or possibly 3)
Use 1.2.0 unless you know what you're doing.
http://www.vems.hu/wiki/index.php?page=GenBoard%2FUnderDevelopment%2FFirmwareChanges

Offline se7ensport

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 06:35:25 pm »

Yes that's my set-up.

I am running wasted spark using COP with intention of going to fully sequential once secondary trigger fitted.

I can only get pins 34 and 36 to work in test mode, I have tried 33, 35, 24 and 10 without success.  I've swapped the pins over to check the harness and it is consistently ch2 and ch3 that works.

My mistake on firmware version, it is actually 1.2.0.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 05:52:55 pm by mattias »

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 05:52:47 pm »
Unplug the ECU, turn the ignition on. Measure voltage between ground and the ignition output pins in the harness. Tell me what you see.

Here is also an opportunity to test-fire passive coils by applying a ground wire to each pin. No spark with this method, and the ECU won't be able to do any better.

You didn't answer my question, are your coils active or passive?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 05:58:35 pm by mattias »

Offline se7ensport

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 06:30:07 pm »
I haven't tried to fire the coils using VEMS, I have 4 test bulbs instead that I used successfully to check the injection, they also confirmed only two ignition channels as currently active when using the test function in VEMSTune.

Sorry, they are passive 2-wire coils from a Ford Focus.

I get 12.6volts on all four outputs with the COP connected, ignition on and VEMS unplugged.  Grounding fires them.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 06:38:31 pm by se7ensport »

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 09:57:53 pm »
Try enabling each ignition output to be used as one of the misc output functions, inverse the function to activate the output. This should  light up the bulb for as long as you have the output active. Don't do this with actual coils as you'll either burn out the fuse for the coils, and if no fuse then either the coil or IGBT.
I would open up the frontplate of the ECU and check what IGBTs are actually mounted on the board as well.

Offline se7ensport

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 11:22:00 pm »
Using misc output I can get each one to light up.

So I then turned off dual-output, I could the get three of the channels to fire; pins 34, 36 and 24.  My guess is that something isn't right with the config I have loaded.  Tomorrow I'll re-load the latest firmware and start from scratch only importing lambda, VE and ignition tables.

Offline se7ensport

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 09:19:18 am »
Just spent another 2 hours this morning trying different config options including loading the latest firmware and then the original config it came with, I still can only get ch2 and ch3 to fire in test using dual output mode.

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 05:17:34 pm »
I would open up the frontplate of the ECU and check what IGBTs are actually mounted on the board as well.

Offline se7ensport

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 05:31:21 pm »

I took the front plate of and described the content to Rob, it looks as though they are there. 

I also loaded your config from your signature, this hasn't worked either, it is now in the post to Rob.

Thank you for your input.

Alex

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 05:44:07 pm »
And if you crank the engine, will any other than pin 34+36  fire a coil? (ignition plugs properly grounded and no trigger errors)

I assume you're using the very latest "nightly" VemsTune ?

Offline se7ensport

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 05:56:36 pm »
Latest version of VEMSTune, I wasn't going to try cranking until test mode confirms that they do fire.

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 08:51:14 pm »
 Try cranking. Doesn't really matter, just don't add fuel until you know what's up.

Offline se7ensport

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2012, 06:38:25 pm »
Rob has run it on his test rig and it works.  The only difference is that I used bulbs on my test set up and he uses LEDs which are significantly more responsive, this doesn't really explain why I could light 2 channels in test.  Just looking forward to connecting it up and getting the car running again.