Author Topic: New engine; COP & firmware upgrade  (Read 8982 times)

Offline se7ensport

• BHP: 6
New engine; COP & firmware upgrade
« on: January 01, 2012, 05:15:10 pm »
Hi folks

I've been working on an engine change for the last 6mths, I've gone from a Pinto race engine running VEMS 1.1.73 on throttle bodies with alpha-n to a Duratec with coil on plug running VEMS 1.1.88 again this will be alpha-n due to throttle bodies.

I was expecting to be able to configure the COP and trigger reference point to be able to get it started, unfortunately it doesn't even sound close (couple of massive backfires!), I'm wondering if any of the other parameters have changed with the firmware upgrade and would appreciate a second set of eyes over my config.

Engine firing order is 1-3-4-2, I have connected the ignition output pins as follows: cylinder 1 to 34, 2 to 10, 3 to 24 and 4 to 36.

Duratec is standard ford 36-1 with the sensor mounted 90 degrees BTDC. Injectors flow at circa 180 cc/mm (previous injectors were the same size, I use a much lower req_fuel figure than standard calc creating higher VE table figures for better control i.e. 7ms instead of 18ms).

Config:
http://www.box.com/s/a5ve4p84py8ukaxbhb5q

Log:
http://www.box.com/s/hej2rhdqteyfu0k9tj6c

Thanks
Alex

ps Apologies for the locostbuilders logos, quickest place for me to host the screenshots of the config.

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
Re: New engine; COP & firmware upgrade
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 05:37:35 pm »
Have you been able to identify the first firing cylinder with a timing light? and that it corresponds with correct ignition timing?

Also you have 4 actual ignition outputs but no camsync?

also 0 in the reference tooth table points to the first firing cylinder after the missing tooth. You have selected 18 there, which means you´ll a cylinder off.

If you set the reference tooth table to

Then you should get correct ignition on
#1.

From there you actually need camsync or run "Dual out" on the COP´s. And then select the opposing pairs, like
for 1 and 4 you need to use dual out as 34,36
and for 2 and 3 you need to use dual out for 10,24
And you must repeat the selection in the ignition output selection.

I´d reccomend you make use of a camsync sensor and don´t run the COP´s dual out, it´s not reccomended practice, at 6000rpm the coils will be at 12000rpm.

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 41
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 05:41:46 pm »
You need cam sync to run sequential ignition, so you need to run dual out instead as if you had wasted spark. I also suspect your ignition output table needs to be shifted because it says that cyl 1 is 180 degrees out if you look at what kind of reference tooth table you have.  You must/should verify with a timing light, you might need to be creative to fit the clamp to the coil - usually sorted with a spark plug wire.

You can use the built-in report tool (see Help menu in VT) to post your config/triggerlog/vemslog and just post us the web link.

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 41
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 05:43:50 pm »
Oh, gunni posted too..  :P
I would recommend keeping the reference tooth table as is, it should sync faster, and just rotate the ignition output table instead (and enable dual out, or preferrably get cam sync working = use triggerlog tool).

Offline se7ensport

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 06:39:54 pm »
Good info, changes made as advised... very nearly starting: http://vems.hu/vemstune/sharingcenter/reports.php?cmd=view&key=VsjVLO

Loving the share feature.

Cam sync isn't possible at the moment as the engine doesn't have the sensor, I'm looking in to adding one shortly.

edited to add another log with 15 degrees cranking: http://vems.hu/vemstune/sharingcenter/reports.php?cmd=view&key=648TzJ

ps - unable to check actual timing as the pulley doens't have any marking and I'd need an assistant.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 07:07:58 pm by se7ensport »

Offline se7ensport

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 07:59:23 pm »
Finally got it started today after 6 months of slow conversion!

Only ticking over, but without a silencer fitted I've got little chance of tuning it. The old silencer was 4inch diameter and sat within the sill, the new one is 6inch and will be partially exposed, I've taken the biggest step in cutting out the sill, but the weather and light got the better of me for today.

Offline Sprocket

• BHP: 29
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 11:16:21 pm »
You must/should verify with a timing light, you might need to be creative to fit the clamp to the coil - usually sorted with a spark plug wire.

Been there done that.

Found these though :) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-Coil-Spark-Plug-Test-Extension-Tester-VS5263-/290377557568?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item439bd9e640