Author Topic: Help with calibration + log + dyno results  (Read 25594 times)

Offline fizban

• BHP: 0
Re: Help with calibration + log + dyno results
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2011, 02:21:15 pm »
I dont fell the torque waves, but maybe its hard to fill 3kgm diffs?
Anyway, my car is now at the garage since a oil cooler hose came off.

Offline GintsK

• BHP: 50
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2011, 08:14:36 pm »
40Kgm are close to 40Nm. It is notable if you lose 10% of torque.

Offline fizban

Log and cfg files runs - need help
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2012, 12:15:19 am »
Hello all,
I went for several test runs and i have some questions + need help in mapping.
Note that the rev limiter is set for 6400 instead of 7000 - to be on the safe side for now.

config - https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6l1SB-S-teyajFnNFJVa0ZRUjg/edit

test1 - https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6l1SB-S-teyeFlaQXQzdDE1UnM/edit

test2 - https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6l1SB-S-teySFFqSUZKdzZLWlk/edit

test1 - i see that engine load is gradually going down as RPM rises. I am using an external boost controller. When its turned off - load reaches 175kpa - almost steady until rev limiter. With the boost control on - kpa reaches around 205 at start and, as you see - drops at rpm rises.

test2 - you can see  a sudden drop in kpa to 130 and then resumes as expected. Is this something i should worry about or a glitch in datalogging?

general - you can see that evey tip in sends lambda very rich. But if i lower the AE settings, i get excessive lean when i step on the throttle.

Ignition - I am wondering if my ignition map is looking logical to you. I retarded a lot at boost since i havent yet used dyno for ignition mapping. But i would like to understand if i am in the right direction.

Thanks,

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 41
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2012, 10:07:33 am »
Always click the "validate config" button in VemsTune to get a config analysis.

If you read the answers you got earlier, I will repeat some of them here :

Your ECU wideband calibration numbers are off, ask "info at vems.hu" for the real ones.
Or follow these directions : http://www.vems.hu/wiki/index.php?page=GenBoard%2FManual%2FWBSensorControllerTesting

You should upgrade to firmware 1.2.0, you're using ancient 1.1.64 which is difficult to support. Install the latest "nightly" release, first remove the old VemsTune installation directory completely. Then use the firmare update wizard.

Your tune is not very good (too rich) and wideband readings can't be trusted, and on top of that you're trying to ask why pressure behaves strange with some sort of boost control?
Stop that and solve one problem at the time.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 10:18:22 am by mattias »

Offline fizban

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2012, 10:50:16 am »
Thanks for the reply,
The vems unit was bought as a plug and play, with the supplied wideband - from DP engineering.
The support pages clearly states no to touch nernst and and pump zero PW.
I am also working with a second wideband sensor (AEM wideband) and the readings are nearly the same as the vems.

I can try to upgrade to 1.2 but if things get messy, i wont have any kind of support and i will stay stuck with a unit which doesnt work and a dead car (its my daily car as well). So i am not too enthusiastic to do this.

Offline fizban

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2012, 12:28:12 pm »
BTW, the VE analyzer is very cool! I've just checked my log files with it.
I also  see several very interesting tutorials on youtube. I guess i need to do more homework.

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2012, 06:14:34 pm »
The vems unit was bought as a plug and play, with the supplied wideband - from DP engineering.
The support pages clearly states no to touch nernst and and pump zero PW. 
The supplied wideband is just a regular LSU4.2 wideband sensor. The values you mention are the ECU calibration values, not the sensor calibration. I'm pretty sure something's still not right even though the separate AEM gauge seems to agree.

Quote from: fizban
I can try to upgrade to 1.2 but if things get messy, i wont have any kind of support and i will stay stuck with a unit which doesnt work and a dead car (its my daily car as well). So i am not too enthusiastic to do this.
It should be pretty simple. After the firmware update wizard is done with it's work it should have uploaded a new config for the firmware version you just upgraded to. Use the "validate config" button to sort out any new and old settings that are not set right, some are this way to get your attention  and not to bother you un-intentionally.

If you create a report from within VemsTune (see Help menu) and post the link here, someone (maybe me), can take a closer look at your new config file if you can't get things going like they used to. If you only describe the problem and don't present any config file to us then help will be that much harder to give.

Offline fizban

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2012, 06:53:07 pm »
ok, so lets start with the ECU calibration.
indeed its a LSU4.2 sensor (http://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/product_info.php/products_id/345)

I checked the validation function and i get the warning about nernst which is 141 (values should be 128-140).
This is the only warning i get.

I checked vems.hu but could not find any calibration values. Any hints?

Offline Sprocket

• BHP: 29
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2012, 12:11:35 am »
Mattias posted this http://www.vems.hu/wiki/index.php?page=GenBoard%2FManual%2FWBSensorControllerTesting but it can be confusing to some. I found this http://www.vems.hu/wiki/index.php?page=WildbandTest which is pretty much the same thing but a lot easier to understand but either needs the later versions of Vemstune with the WBO2 calibration tool, or knowledge on how to use a terminal program.

Be warned though that of you connect the resistors incorrectly or short anything out you might damage the box, so you really need to be confident about what you are doing.

Mattias also suggsted you try contacting Vems headquarters for this information so long as you can provide the serial number of the unit, which is found on the board itself or can be found in vemstune under 'firmware info'

If you don't wan't to try anything suggested above in fear of it not working, I suggest seeking direct help from some one that will be able to sort it for you.

Offline fizban

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2012, 08:38:07 am »
I've sent mail to DP-engineering regarding this. They've just replied that since my ecu is an older one (i bought it 3 or 4 years ago) 141 is ok. But i can also tune 140 and re-calibrate sensor.
I bought the vems in the pnp version specifically so i wont need to deal with resistor and electronic stuff which risk destroying the unit.
BTW - i did an open air calibration of the WB with the terminal before tuning the car with the vems, so i do know a little about the terminal usage.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 09:56:13 am by fizban »

Offline GintsK

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2012, 11:57:35 am »
Personally I never saw units out of 13x area. Starting from s/n 7xx. This value does not give significant measurement error anyway. Only another calibration values can be uncertain.
1.1.6x is obsolete. So many useful features came after that! For both street and race use. Try to do backup (with firmware downgrade possibility) and go to newer released f/w. 1.1.96 (Some, including me had communications problems with 1.2.0)

External boost controller .... - nothing is better than VEMS internal PID based! Probably boost backpressure opens your W-gate...

Offline fizban

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2012, 05:03:16 pm »
Thanks.
Is there any page with changelog of versions?
The external boost controller give 3  stages i can use. I need to use config switch for the A/C control since it doesnt work well on single map when turning the A/C on (low rpm and stalls when releasing throttle).

So you think i need to increase there exhaust diameter? I do use a catalytic converter which restricts the flow. The pipes are 3". Maybe i can design a T with 2 catalytic converters...

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2012, 05:21:34 pm »
I need to use config switch for the A/C control since it doesnt work well on single map when turning the A/C on (low rpm and stalls when releasing throttle).
Works excellent with idle air valve and idle ignition advance control, as is discussed in YOUR thread here : http://www.vemssupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,1936.0.html

Offline GintsK

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2012, 05:25:24 pm »
http://www.vems.hu/wiki/index.php?page=GenBoard%2FUnderDevelopment%2FFirmwareChanges
Lot of reading :)

You can configure switchable boost levels with VEMS too.
Configswitch is easier nowadays.

I mean pressure inside exhaust manifold. It gradually open w-gate when gas flow increases. It is common behaviour and up to some level can be compensated with boost controller settings.

Gints

Offline fizban

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2012, 05:40:53 pm »
Mattias - I remember my Idle thread.  My idle ref curve is set above the target RPM. ignition is 4-5 deg above idle advance in 600rpm to get recover. the only thing i didnt try is to lower ignition below 10 deg at idle, since mixture got erratic at that level.  i can try again. The engine is indeed DOHC but it is not that modern (1998).  Will retarding ignition at idle result in less CO?

Gints - What you say is logical, i think that i might not need to set the rev limiter at 7000 rpm, if at 6400 i get nearly to original Wastegate settings.