Author Topic: VEMS and snow perfomance water injection  (Read 15558 times)

Offline AVP

• BHP: 11
VEMS and snow perfomance water injection
« on: November 27, 2011, 07:40:12 pm »
Hello,

my variable WI controller decided to die on my and only injects water at 1.6bar of boost when it should have a linear injection setup.

how can i control my water injection with VEMS? is there such a provision?

for example my variable controller has a red-green-black wire to the controller plug.

GREEN: goes to pump
RED: goes to 12v key switch
BLACK: goes to ground.

i already have an anytrim control which i had requested for boost control, but i dont use it anymore.

im a bit of a numb when it comes to connecting wiring, but all in all, is there a simple guide as to how i could supply the pump for water injection through vems, making vems the boost controller in essense?

thanks
vasilis

Offline MWfire

• BHP: 35
Re: VEMS and snow perfomance water injection
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 08:41:43 pm »
use alternate boost control(sec. PWM table)

Offline AVP

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 08:44:32 pm »
and where do i connect the cables that used to go to the controller of the water injection?

which plug to use those in the vems wiring?

Offline MWfire

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 08:47:18 pm »
i allways used with relay(ON-OFF).
Can that system works with regulation?
And what is max current?

Offline AVP

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 08:57:42 pm »
i have never used vems for this, i used the kit's controller. apparently you supply the 12v and the controler has a potensiometer which internaly can use to produce a variable voltage to the pump and adjust the amount of injection.

i have no means of measuring this, but if this cannot be done, then ill get a new controller and i can send this one to any developer wishes to look into it and perhaps come up with an idea to make it work with vems.

Offline MWfire

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 09:01:56 pm »
Just connect motor to 12V and measure current. If current is lower than 10A you can connect to inj output on vems. Also you need to add low voltage flyback diode.

Offline Kenny Watson

• BHP: 3
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 03:15:50 am »
I have done exactly this - PWM controlling an AEM meth pump.

As suggested, I used the "alt boost". It works great. PWM frequency of 30hz and I think I used a spare ignition output (as already said just assign something with a high current transistor).

Then what I do is I connect the wires from the low level switch on the methanol tank in parallel with the vems warning output.

The meth switch or the warning output form vems triggers a relay that illuminates a check engine light and cuts power to the boost control solenoid.

This scheme, especially using the "lean detect" with a properly deifned lamda target table crates a pretty good failsafe. No methanol or a lean conditions cuts power to the boost controls solenoid and boost returns to base the wastegate setting.

Makes it pretty much idiot proof.  ;D

Offline AVP

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 07:11:59 am »
so what do you have in case your pump stops working or there is a disruption in the flow? How does vems know about that?

i have had my pump stop working while the led of the WI kit still lighted up, in other words, current was going to the pump, but the pump itself had stopped working.

Offline MWfire

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 08:51:05 am »
so what do you have in case your pump stops working or there is a disruption in the flow? How does vems know about that?

i have had my pump stop working while the led of the WI kit still lighted up, in other words, current was going to the pump, but the pump itself had stopped working.

mixture is leaner. Now i'm working on algorithm to detect no water injection with two MAT sensors. One before injection, secound after.

Offline AVP

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 08:57:41 am »
And you can set the lean conditions for the alternate boost to take over?

Offline MWfire

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 09:06:04 am »
see warning light options

Offline Kenny Watson

• BHP: 3
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 05:08:39 pm »

I attempted to explain how I do it in my post but I did a poor job.

If the meth system stops working, the engine will go leaner than the lambda target table (this is of course assuming you tuned it such that the actual lambda during normal operation is close to target to begin with, you need to actually set all of this part up when tuning).

This triggers the warning light output with turns on a light and cuts power to the boost solenoid. This reduces boost to base wastegate pressure (around 12psi in my case. The methanol system is not active at 12psi so this reduces boost to a "safe" level. The level float switch for the methanol is also wired into this relay, so the warning light doubles as a low-methanol indicator and also cause the engine to run in low boost.

Offline AVP

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 11:14:35 am »
Many thanks Kenny.

I have sourced a module from snow performance called safe injection and it monitors the flow of watermeth. It also provides a 12v signal in case the flow goes beyond a certain threshold. It can also be connected to vems directly through other circuitry but I will only use the 12v signal to do a config switch as I already have a switch there and connectivity may be easy for a complete numb like me!

Offline MWfire

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 01:11:54 pm »
Many thanks Kenny.

I have sourced a module from snow performance called safe injection and it monitors the flow of watermeth. It also provides a 12v signal in case the flow goes beyond a certain threshold. It can also be connected to vems directly through other circuitry but I will only use the 12v signal to do a config switch as I already have a switch there and connectivity may be easy for a complete numb like me!
but if your hose fall up, you will have flow(but bigger flow). So you need to report error if flow is to big or to small(pump doesn't work).

Offline AVP

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 01:15:32 pm »
what hose fall off?
the hoses fitted on WI kits never fall off. their mechanism is a push-on clip and there is no way to fall off.

the safe injection has a dial that will give a threshold below which the alarm will go off.