Author Topic: Half Moon Cam Sync  (Read 4762 times)

Offline dannyho

• BHP: 1
Half Moon Cam Sync
« on: October 03, 2011, 06:21:59 pm »
I haven't been able to find any reference as to how to set up the VEMs for a half moon cam sync and I was hoping someone here could help me. 
for background, I am trying to use VEMs to run a 1996 5.2L dodge V8 engine.  I am going to modify the stock tone ring that is on the flywheel to be 24-1, and to use the existing cam sensor inside the distributor. I am only using the distributor for this function as I plan on running individual coils as well.
both sensors are Hall sensors.

I need to know how to clock the cam sensor. as right now it's not aligned to anything. according to the dodge manual, the sensor goes to 5V when the rotor is close to the sensor.  Should I align it so that the leading edge of the rotor is at TDCC for cyl.1?   
if VEMs does not have the ability to run the half moon sensor, I can modify it to be a single tooth, but I wouldn't know how wide is should be or where it should be clocked.

I'll try to update this with a picture when I get out of work today. I'm surprised I can't seem to be able to attach one.

If anyone doesnt recognize the term half moon, just think of a rotor that has one tooth that is 180 degree wide.

Thanks In advance

Offline MWfire

• BHP: 35
Re: Half Moon Cam Sync
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 06:50:10 pm »
vems will work with that sensor without problems.

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
Re: Half Moon Cam Sync
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 08:28:04 pm »
Basically the cam sensor resets the cylinder sequence, you'll need to index the engine with a timing light to work out which coil is firing when and when the sync occurs.