Author Topic: Viewing vemstune logs and configs  (Read 8477 times)

Offline AVP

• BHP: 11
Viewing vemstune logs and configs
« on: October 16, 2011, 07:50:09 am »
I have a problem with the vemstune, which i need some clarification please.

When i do a run which the log is running, i stop, then with the engine running, i can switch to logview and see my log, BUT when i want to switch back to the config to continue my runs (say you are on a dyno for example), i have to turn off vemstune and restart it, as it doesnt see the ECU anymore even though all plugs are still connected and com ports are untouched.

It is really annoying either having to unplug the serial cable, or turn the engine off to look at a log, then turn back on and continue...

IS there any way around this? Or am i doing something wrong?

thanks

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
Re: Viewing vemstune logs and configs
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 10:15:14 am »
I don´t turn logging on, as vemstune kinda does that for you anyway.

I just go to the log view , hit update, and the log updates. Then look at what I need looking at and go back to the tuning, all without loosing connection to the ecu.

This only works because I don´t open a log file. When you do open a log file the program changes mode. And disconnects from the ecu.
You can open log in new window and won´t loose connection that way either. I prefer to do like I explained.

Offline AVP

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 11:12:12 am »
I wasnt aware that vemstune is logging all the time irrespectively of me pressing on log.

ill try that! Thanks!

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 41
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 03:53:12 pm »
It only logs to a file if you press the LOG button. It always has a "live" datalog of all ECU online time from when you launched VemsTune,  you can reach it at all times (shift+8 or log viewer button) but is lost when you exit the program.

If you open a datalog which brings you offline, all you have to do in order to get online again is press the input source button, next to the log button and choose the ECU instead of log file in the drop down box.

Offline AVP

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 08:59:41 am »
i had a mapping session yesterday and the weird thing happened with vems.

although the dyno was showing actual rpm for boost configuration, vems was realtime logging it at 600rpm later!!!

so boost was coming up on the lcd display properly, like 3800rpm, and when viewing the log in realtime, the run was logged at 4300rpm!!!

I couldnt do many changes on the boost section as i was getting some oscillations and decided to finetune that on the road, but i dont understand why vems was looking at it so differently!

Offline GintsK

• BHP: 50
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 10:47:09 am »
Do I understand correctly: you think that VEMS calculates rpms wrong??? It can't be since 1.1.55 where users have to configure tricky constants.
 But regarding dyno - from where they sourcing rpm? From roller? I have lot of problems with local Mustang: they convert pulse signal from clamp to analogue and only then feed it to their board. It is dirty imprecise! Other way how they can calculate rpms is from roller - and again 1) operator have to find right ratio and enter it 2)it do not take into account tyre slip... It is imprecise again!

Gints

Offline AVP

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 11:13:41 am »
what i am saying is that looking at the display of vems i have, the boost and spool vs rpm was correct and at 3800rpm, and that corresponded to the dyno rpm signal, BUT on the realtime vemslog, it registered 4300rpm.

now you tell me what went wrong! how can i see the lcd display of vems say one thing and the log register another? VEMS was contradicting itself.

ill double check today as ill do more runs, but in practice the correct spool was at 3800rpm, not 4300

Offline GintsK

• BHP: 50
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 12:47:31 pm »
VEMS LCD dispaly has very slow update rate. At acceleration current reading most time is lower than actual.
Have you saved logs?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 12:49:18 pm by GintsK »

Offline AVP

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 01:19:45 pm »
saved some logs just now.

vems now is correspoding with yesterday's dyno.
boost coming in at 3800.

so maybe the realtime log in vems had an issue yesterday, as today the actual saved log is perfect.

and believe, we would have felt 500rpm difference in spool...