Author Topic: wideband  (Read 15268 times)

Offline reevio

• BHP: 1
wideband
« on: April 05, 2011, 09:07:46 pm »
ive fitted an aem wideband bit of kit comes with sensor wiring and indash gauage to view the mixture all the time on the gauage it gives me an output i take it i can just connect this one cable to the wideband on the ecoseal18 pin 13 to get the wdeband onto the vems ?

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
Re: wideband
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 09:38:34 pm »
No, VEMS has its own wideband controller, it won't work with an external system as it doesn't need to.

Offline reevio

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 09:55:47 pm »
so its not essential that i run a wideband on the vems or do i need to, to get it mapped correctly or will my gauge ect be sufficent to moitor air fuel ratio

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 41
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 10:34:37 pm »
It is very beneficial for tuning that you run a wideband sensor directly connected to the four pins on EC18. It simplifies datalogging and tuning a lot.  You can't use any external controller for this purpose, the wideband controller is built-in to the ECU and is a key feature.
Not only for tuning, in the long run you use it for closed-loop EGO correction to optimise fuel consumption and compensate for small changes over time to the engine and components around it.

If you need to display the lambda value on a gauge, that can be setup separately with it's own sensor.  That is kind of redundant because you can connect an AIM-compatible gauge to the ECU and it will send the lambda reading and many other values across the serial port to the AIM gauge. There is a VEMS round 52 mm gauge that uses the AIM protocol that exists for this purpose.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 10:36:16 pm by mattias »

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 10:37:25 pm »
I'd use the ECUs wideband, as it uses it to monitor the fuel itself.  If you want a display to keep an eye on fuel (a good idea), then the VEMS can drive a display only round gauge.

Offline Sprocket

• BHP: 29
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 12:31:02 am »
Slightly off topic and at risk of confusing the original poster (please follow the advice above,and not what I am about to say ;) )

Would there be any consideration for a 0-5v external lambda input via one of the spare ADC chanels so that an external lamda controller (VEMS) can be data logged via the VEMS ECU at the same time? Would I be correct in saying that the VEMS ECU does not itself recieve AIM data and the Vems WBO2 does not transmit AIM data? and when a PC is connected, AIM data is automatically stopped, so, not only do you loose the aim data on the VEMS Round, you cannot log the VEMS Round WBO2 data

Reason I ask, and have suggested before, is that the VEMS WBO2 gauge, along with the ECU will provide a second chanel WBO2, and while AIM data can be displayed on the same gauge, real time data logging is difficult.

I'm not looking for anything complicated on the user configuration, Possible suggestion to have a simple enabled/ disabled config point with a selectable ADC input chanel. The standard 0-5v scaling as already suggested by VEMS Round  for connecting to third party ECUs could be fixed in the firmware.

I am sure there would be several interested parties wanting to monitor a pair of headers  on VEE engines, which would go hand in hand with the now current injector and ignition trim.

Offline reevio

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 09:54:33 pm »
may be over the top but what about running two sensors i do have a spare brand new bosch lsu4 doing nothing

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 09:19:27 am »
One LSU being driven by the VEMS and the other by the AEM system?
Can't see why not.

Offline reevio

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 02:47:56 pm »
could i not just piggy back the wiring and run it to the ecu plug as i wont be controlling the wideband via the aem just live streaming data on it and set it up via the vems

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 08:36:25 am »
I'm not sure what you mean by piggy back - the ECU needs unfettered access to the sensor as is needs to control several parts of the sensor's operation.

Offline reevio

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 06:40:21 pm »
basically just splice in to the aems loom so the vems can control it and the aems will just stream data to the gauge for me

Offline Sprocket

• BHP: 29
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 12:19:17 am »
Sell the AEM and buy a VEMS round only guage. It will do everything you are trying to do pluss display other live data from the ECU.

Offline reevio

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 11:00:56 am »
have you got a link to the correct one please

Offline Erikk

• BHP: 7
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 07:34:53 am »
Sweden - erik.englund@gmail.com

Offline reevio

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2011, 06:54:57 pm »
rigth got to connect my wideband its a bosch lsu4 and has 5 wires
1 red
2 black
3 yellow
4 white
5 grey
is there anywhere i can find which wire dose what so i know where to connect it to im happy with the vems connections just not on my sensor
cheers guys chris