Author Topic: Need to reduce a 12v digital signal to 5v  (Read 5502 times)

Offline lugnuts

• BHP: 2
Need to reduce a 12v digital signal to 5v
« on: June 25, 2007, 06:43:52 am »
I have a plug and play application that powers the secondary trigger with 12v in the harness.
I understand that the VEMS needs a max. of 5v signal or it will be damaged.
I'm just a dumb tuner, can someone show me how to reduce the 12v signal to 5v?
Thanks,Kevin

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
Re: Need to reduce a 12v digital signal to 5v
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 02:08:40 pm »
I'm not sure where you got the information that more than 5V would damage the VEMS, it will take a 12V signal as the input is protected by a Zener diode.
Have you measured the output of the Hall sensor?  We've not come across too many that put out a 12v, the VW ones tend to give about 4V

Offline lugnuts

• BHP: 2
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 03:54:52 pm »
Thats great news. In my first few weeks of research, I had a bad habit of not saving link locations, I'll have to dig-up that 5v comment.
I did not in fact measure it yet. While reviewing my manual diagrams it is showing that the 4 cyl cars share the 5v supply with the TPS, but the VR6 cars share a supply with other 12v components. I will verify this but it seems to not be an issue anyway.

I will delete the original post if you would like to avoid spreading misinformation.

Thanks,
Kevin

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 05:30:43 pm »
No need, I have a policy on non-deletion on here because removing stuff looks a bit iffy.
Plus its a datapoint that people who may have read the 5v remark can refer to now.

Cheers

Rob