Author Topic: 100-1 Flywheel and cam question  (Read 18415 times)

Offline BrendanC

• BHP: 0
100-1 Flywheel and cam question
« on: June 10, 2007, 03:21:16 am »
I assume that 100-1 toothed wheels work just fine as long as the parameters are set properly in the software? One tooth is a bit longer just before the missing, but I can file that down no issues.

The car also has a place for a hall effect cam sensor, but does the system need a certain kind of input for the cam sync and sequential?

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 03:55:32 pm by BrendanC »

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
Re: 100-1 Flywheel and cam quetion
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 08:50:02 pm »
Which car/engine is this on?  I would not bother trying to file something down to size, it can cause horrible things to happen to the signal, if you've seen the early Renault crank trigger patterns then you'll see that they have a double length tooth followed by a double length space, VEMS just reads the missing tooth perfectly.  It does this because its not counting teeth but counting the transitions between the +&- voltages from the VR sensor.

Our secondary trigger type is Hall, should be possible to use it.

Rob

Offline BrendanC

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 07:49:45 pm »
Thanks Rob. Then I guess I will try and just leave the flywheel teeth the way they are. I can always take 6 bolts off later and do whatever with the flywheel on the car.

Its a Porsche 928 Engine, 5.0L, 32V and will see some boost in the 15psi range eventually. I have spec'd out that the Cayenne Turbo Coils work in my head, so I will spec the VEMS board for "smart coils" as they are called. That will simplify the engine bay by ALOT, and the hall sensor is already in the passenger cam belt cog plate.

I will have to find the proper bosch-type plugs (3 wire for the crank sensor) somewhere.

I also need to trigger a RPM and load based Dual Resonance chamber in the intake. Which option should I choose on the webstore page and does it matter which loom?

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 08:22:09 pm »
Rather than buying from the webshop I'd recommend that you buy through your nearest VEMS agent, they'll be able to put the right spec together for you and will cost the same as the webshop prices.

PM me with your location and I'll put you in touch with the nearest person.

Rob

Offline BrendanC

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 11:10:00 pm »
I'm in Sunny San Diego, CA. BUT, I could also order from someone near Stoke-on-Trent in England if it would change how quickly I can get these units and the ancillaries :)

Offline Agriv8

• BHP: 4
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 11:24:31 pm »
Thanks Rob. Then I guess I will try and just leave the flywheel teeth the way they are. I can always take 6 bolts off later and do whatever with the flywheel on the car.

Its a Porsche 928 Engine, 5.0L, 32V and will see some boost in the 15psi range eventually. I have spec'd out that the Cayenne Turbo Coils work in my head, so I will spec the VEMS board for "smart coils" as they are called. That will simplify the engine bay by ALOT, and the hall sensor is already in the passenger cam belt cog plate.

I will have to find the proper bosch-type plugs (3 wire for the crank sensor) somewhere.

I also need to trigger a RPM and load based Dual Resonance chamber in the intake. Which option should I choose on the webstore page and does it matter which loom?

Slight post hijack - Nice engine choice by the way

Regards

Agriv8
'The older I get the faster I was'

Offline BrendanC

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 11:50:17 pm »
Thanks. Its a bit of a hybird, with the body being 78 (when the engines were 4.5) and the engine an 89, and some boost involved. Its hould be fun, and VEMS seems like a way to get what I wanted (clean engine bay, tunability with sequential) and with it being assembled and even some looms available, I can get it done quickly. I am shooting for 3000 pounds without me in the car.

Offline PeepPaadam

• BHP: 8
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 12:06:06 pm »
VEMS reads the Porsche 928 100-1 trigger wheel just fine, but with older firmware (eg. 1.0.36) it loses the missing tooth at app. 6000 rpm. One should use 1.1.x firmware for that.

But Brendan, if your engine is '89 32v, it should have more common 60-2 flywheel, isn't it?

Offline BrendanC

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 05:54:51 pm »
There you are Peep.

Yes, the engine is 89, BUT, (and this is a big BUT), the clutch, flywheel, and everything else is either earlier or later, depending on what we are talking about.

So in this instance, the flywheel is 100-1. Because I have two of those and was using them with the dual disk clutch from 80-86 (this is more info than many watching would like mechanically, but it needs to be said to tell you) - So Yes, the flywheel is 100-1, BUT, the cam sensor which is a plate-wheel with a hole in it, is the 89 version.

Offline BrendanC

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 05:55:45 pm »
What do you think about the cam trigger  - its a three pin plug I think, and as I said, its a "one tooth" type.

Offline PeepPaadam

• BHP: 8
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 07:47:38 pm »
Ok.

You only need cam reference if you go full sequential. You can drive COPs in pairs and it works like a charm. Though it's preferred to use cam sync and not drive COPs in pairs (faster coil and plug wear).

You have to check if the cam trigger event takes place between 7th and 8th cylinder of the firing order, e.g. 4th and 8th cylinder on 928 V8 engine (firing order: 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-(cam sync)-8).

Cam sensor itself is usual Hall sensor.

At first you should try 1.0.73 firmware as it has proven to be very complete.

Offline BrendanC

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2007, 11:21:45 pm »
Thanks. You know I can change the cam trigger to do show anything I want really, since its a hall sensor. I can make the event any time since the cam wheel will turn at 1/2 crank speed.  I'll just machine the wheel for anything I need it to do.

I would really like to make it fully sequential. I bought the Cayenne COPs with thier wire looms (Ugh$$$) so I would like to use them to their fullest extent. I really hope I can work it out to full sequential ignition.

Brendan

Ok.

You only need cam reference if you go full sequential. You can drive COPs in pairs and it works like a charm. Though it's preferred to use cam sync and not drive COPs in pairs (faster coil and plug wear).

You have to check if the cam trigger event takes place between 7th and 8th cylinder of the firing order, e.g. 4th and 8th cylinder on 928 V8 engine (firing order: 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-(cam sync)-8).

Cam sensor itself is usual Hall sensor.

At first you should try 1.0.73 firmware as it has proven to be very complete.

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2007, 09:04:46 am »
The only reason I would go to sequential is if I were hitting coil charge issues with wasted spark.  The newer firmware will make sure that doesnt happen... ;D

Offline BrendanC

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2007, 12:15:26 am »
What about for the reason of coolness, its all there, the unit is capable, and... Its cool to say that you are fully sequential? :) ;D 8)

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2007, 08:38:36 am »
Yes that would be cool, and I'm not saying that you shouldn't bother with it, just dont let it complicate the already complicated process of getting the car running.  Start with wasted spark and add complication later ;D