Author Topic: 16 point air and CLT curves  (Read 15475 times)

Offline th.b.w.

• BHP: 3
Re: 16 point air and CLT curves
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2010, 06:26:57 am »
Hi,

do you know if i can dip the sensor element in water?
yes, no problem, it is not from sugger made..... ;D

Thomas

Offline AVP

• BHP: 11
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2010, 01:21:18 pm »
since these sensors are made to measure air rather than liquids, i am going to try to use the K sensor along with the IAT sensor close together and do measurements of hot and cold using air rather than liquids.

for the hot it is easy, as radiator heat as well as hair dryer would be sufficient to accomodate high temps.

for the cold, im trying to locate some dry ice, or otherwise i will have to improvise with the outdoor snow that is readily found in the UK now.

any other ideas?

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 41
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2010, 01:39:39 pm »
Test with ice water and boiling water, combined with ambient temperature measurements. That should get you close enough.

Liquid will only make the heat/cold transfer to the sensor body quicker, a good thing when you want to measure.

I would NOT compare to K-type thermocouples unless properly calibrated to the equipment you are using and even then it's a bad idea for this temperature range. Use something else more appropriate for the temperatures you want to see (i.e not 500+ Celsius).

Offline AVP

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2010, 07:51:19 pm »
I bought a ktype sensor that can measure from -50 to + 199C with .1 decimal measurement and then it measures above that with a clarity of + 1 degree. It was fairly cheap and digital, so i think it should be accurate.

i was told that heat and water transfer would interefere with my measurements, as the sensor it self is not sealed, and the K type sensor is always sealed, therefore wanted to make sure im measuring same properties(ie air)

Offline AVP

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2010, 10:53:38 pm »
i also found a spare OEM Audi CLT sensor which i will check for the same reasons. For this one, i will use the water method as it is sealed and made to be used for liquids.

still waiting for the parts...