Author Topic: No spark on 1.1.81 + sec trig pos error  (Read 4861 times)

Offline s14nismo

• BHP: 6
No spark on 1.1.81 + sec trig pos error
« on: October 28, 2010, 04:08:35 pm »
Ok guys,After loading 1.1.81. I now have a trigger and what seems to be a sensible RPM reading (200rpm) while cranking but have no spark and a flag while cranking reading *sec trig pos bad*

Disabling the cam sync makes no change to the error.

Engine is sr20det,

The trigger wheel is 24+1 in the Original CAS (cam mounted).

Ive tried enabling various filters with no success.

please take a look at my config and suggest any changes. ;)

http://www.mediafire.com/?35480lg7s64azc0

ive also tried using the record trigger log tool but cant it to work at all! it just stays blank and doesnt recieve any bytes. :(
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 11:01:25 am by s14nismo »

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 41
    • Sävar Turbo Site
Re: No spark on 1.1.81
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 10:20:54 pm »
Due to an offset in signal handling with the new firmware, the primary and secondary trigger events CAN come too close to each other. Not saying this is what happens here, but very likely.
This means that the secondary trigger event comes just before or just after a primary trigger event. When that happens the tooth count is wrong and the error is flagged, one cam rotation and 23 teeth passes by, the other 25, some 24... wrong.  There should always be 24 teeth between each secondary trigger event.

Try setting the secondary trigger edge to be falling, instead of rising.

You can change the primary trigger edge instead, don't touch the secondary. But then you'd have to strobe the ignition and adjust "TDC after the trigger", on the other hand that is what you should do anyway!!

This is very obvious in a triggerlog, I can't see why making one doesn't work for you. Which VemsTune release have you tested it with?

Offline s14nismo

• BHP: 6
Re: No spark on 1.1.81
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 10:54:56 am »
That would make sense because sometimes the engine will crank several rotations before the flag but sometimes flags almost immediately.

Could it be that a specific firmware will need to be compiled for this trigger? i ask because it seems the only firmware people currently use for this nissan trigger is 1.1.18, unless anyone knows differently?

I have tried changing the falling/rising edge both individually and together without success.

The Vemstune ive been using (11 aug) is quite old now judging by the number of recent releases! but i have now installed the latest today
so will give the trigger log another shot.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 11:49:55 am by s14nismo »

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 41
    • Sävar Turbo Site
Re: No spark on 1.1.81 + sec trig pos error
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 11:43:15 pm »
Try rising for the primary, and falling for the secondary.  You may have to adjust the "first tooth" by 1 in the primary trigger because of the trigger edge shifting before/after a primary tooth event.

There is no need for a special firmware, it should work just fine with this trigger - it's just too bad that the trigger latency has changed for the secondary trigger. It has changed for the better, but can pick up noise too - make sure to enable the "Hall dirac filtering" feature for both primary and secondary trigger, the Nissan original harnesses are known to have problems after 20 years in service. Especially the connector for the coils is a cause of problems.  Don't use this feature with VR sensors, only Hall and optical!

If you have a bad battery voltage and try doing a triggerlog, be aware that if it drops too low the ECU will reset and exit the triggerlog mode once you start cranking and you won't get any data back.