Author Topic: Wasted spark setup for 1.1.81 is different?  (Read 7176 times)

Offline Kenny Watson

• BHP: 3
Wasted spark setup for 1.1.81 is different?
« on: October 26, 2010, 10:58:10 pm »
I just upgraded from 1.1.70 to 1.1.81 and noticed something interesting.

My setup is a Volvo 6 - exactly the same trigger settings as BMW M20 (60-2). I used Mattias' config for base settings. 

When I changed to 1.1.81 I get this error with the reference tooth table, it also shows the same error on the primary trigger settings and the ignition settings screen:

However, if I change the number of ignition outputs to 3, the reference tooth table just has 40,20,0 and all of the errors go away.

This actually makes more sense, as opposed to the old way of saying you are using 6 outputs and duplicating the same 3 outputs in the output table and in the tooth table.

So is this the new way to do it or is this error incorrect?

I will try it both ways - car doesn't run yet. I mainly just thought this was interesting.

Cheers,

-Ken

Offline Kenny Watson

Re: Wasted spark setup for 1.1.81 is different?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 11:56:37 pm »
Ok I've found in another thread that this is just an erroneous error.

The latest Vemstune does not like it when the tooth count difference between consecutive entries is not equal to the "next tooth" value but doesn't take into acount that the tooth count starts over at "0" again for the second 360 degrees of crank travel. In other words my original entries based on mattias' config are correct despite the error.

Offline gox

• BHP: 6
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 07:52:00 am »
I had the same problem....its "bug" in VemsTune,settings are correct.
When i use 40 20 0 only,i get spark only on 3 cyl....

Youre coil charge time is a little high...with wasted spark module i use 2,5ms and it worked perfect up to 1.2bar and 7000rpm,single coil works fine with 2,8ms-3ms dwell.

Gogi
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 07:56:45 am by BMW 325i »
E30 2.7 - VEMS,KKK K27.2,Schrick,1bar

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 41
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 01:02:57 pm »
The "trigger setup warning feature" was introduced in the 2010-10-19 release and obviously has some flaws, it is supposed to be fixed now but you have to wait for the next release.

Hopefully it will help more than it will confuse by then.

Offline Kenny Watson

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 04:37:59 pm »
Thanks guys!

So you guys think i should reverse the order of the trigger ref table and the ignition outputs? I notice spark seemed correct in terms of timing but maybe not as regular as I'd expect. I will try it and see if it looks better on the light.

I have seen a few different variations of the reference tooth table for 6cyl wasted spark 60-2....

As far as dwell goes I am using an edis coil and they like lots of dwell. I used this coil with megasquirt for 2 years previously with 4.5ms and no problems -  for high boost runs I would turn it up to 5, but that was at the limit of the coil driver I was using.

Once it's running I will probably try to use the feature that increases dwell with boost pressure so it doesn't run high dwell all the time, but for now I am using the setting because i know it works.  :)

Thanks again!

Oh also should I reverse the order of my injector outputs as well?

Offline gox

• BHP: 6
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 05:57:24 pm »
Injector table is also read backwards....
If youre firing order is 1-5-3-6-2-4 you should line the injectors in the Injector Outputs table that way from bottom to top.
E30 2.7 - VEMS,KKK K27.2,Schrick,1bar

Offline Kenny Watson

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 04:42:24 am »
Thanks guys!

I left the ignition 40-20-0-40-20-0 from top to bottom and the injectors also in reverse firing order fomr top to bottom and the car fired right up.  ;D

Seems to run great. A few little cleanup things to do on the looming and I can do some street tuning then get back to the dyno.