Author Topic: 3rd trigger wheel going bad  (Read 6398 times)

Offline gox

• BHP: 6
3rd trigger wheel going bad
« on: October 15, 2010, 11:54:14 pm »
Today,for the 3rd time my trigger wheel got bad.
Its a stock 60-2 trigger wheel from the BMW M20 engine,the rubber that is in the middle of the wheel is cracking....the all 3 wheels where in good shape when i was putting them on the engine.Firs one that was originally on the engine lasted for 2 years,this summer in drift event in Hungary i got it cracked (rubber part) i replaced the wheel at the track and i was going ok,for one race,then again,same problem,i replaced it,one race...crack again.The 3rd one that i mounted died today.I dont see a crack in the rubber like on the other 2 wheels (its still on the car) but i have Trigger errors at 5000rpm and engine starts to missfire,sounds like a rpm limiter.When i took the VR sensor off it was damaged by the teeth,so i thought maybe the sensor was problem,but no,same thing with the other sensor but i had to made a bigger gap between sensor and the wheel (max 2mm gap now).
Maybe this is happening because of too much on/off throttle at high rpms where engine has big power (in drifting)....can i made a new 60-2 wheel without rubber part and is here someone who has a cad drawing for it? I suppose rubber is for "amortization" in the on/off throttle situation....will it hurt the crankshaft if i made the new wheels without rubber?

Tnx

Gogi

E30 2.7 - VEMS,KKK K27.2,Schrick,1bar

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
Re: 3rd trigger wheel going bad
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 12:21:57 am »
check with a dial gauge how out of round your front hub is, most likely a crankshaft problem

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 41
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 12:27:39 am »
Checking the hub is probably a good idea to begin with.

It is common on high power M20s here in Sweden that the damper comes apart, especially if you use the engine at high rpm, say up to 7500-8000 rpm. Buying a new one and zero balancing it seems to make them last longer. Ultimately you would want something better than the stock one, because you are not using the engine as you would a "standard daily driver" engine.

I have no idea on what to recommend if you replace it with something else, removing it entirely is probably not a good idea.

Offline gox

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 07:02:06 pm »
Crank pulley never cross my mind...that maybe a problem.

Can i just make a custom 60-2 trigger?
E30 2.7 - VEMS,KKK K27.2,Schrick,1bar

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 08:42:16 pm »
Don´t until you have checked the hub,
I have SEEN a timing gear move around with my eyes so it´s very possible

Offline gox

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 10:05:03 pm »