Author Topic: "Pin in" in Econoseal plug for Audi AAN/ABY  (Read 22089 times)

Offline ranz

• BHP: 6
Re: "Pin in" in Econoseal plug for Audi AAN/ABY
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 01:54:09 pm »
As you mention i also read somewhere that the I259 on EC36 pin 34 and 36 was linked to pin 4 & 5 in the female SSC6 socket.

As i said, i tried to ohm them when the trigger should be active and it was not even close to 0 so the challenge continues!
Try again, for example select misc output 1, set min RPM to 0 max 8000, min TPS to 0, max to 100 and min MAP to 0, max to 300, both extra conditions to disable and select I259 3 or 2 and measure it... and if I remember correctly, the car has to work to get them active, just on the ignition position the did not work.

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 41
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 03:36:58 pm »
Thanks for the link, but i still cannot determine from that diagram what the AAN SSC6 pin extra connector which is hanging out of the case is connected to.
As you mention i also read somewhere that the I259 on EC36 pin 34 and 36 was linked to pin 4 & 5 in the female SSC6 socket.
It's plain and clear in the link I gave to you first post in this thread what the SSC6 pinout is.

AAN ECU extra connector pins:

SSC6 female

* pin1 mcp3208 pin6,ch5
    * pin2 mcp3208 pin7,ch6
    * pin3 mcp3208 pin8,ch7
    * pin4 EC36 pin 34 (power out)
    * pin5 EC36 pin 36 (power out)
    * pin6 GND

To test the outputs you can use the "all outputs" dialog, and check/uncheck the "invert channel" box for that function. That will make it possible to test the output, regardless of the conditions that enable it.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 03:38:38 pm by mattias »

Offline tweak

• BHP: 3
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 09:45:07 pm »
Just to conclude here. Yes indeed the documentation (that AAN spreadsheet) was correct.

The problem was the way of checking the pins with a multimeter. It appears that measuring resistance does not give you anything sensible in this logical outputs in VEMS. A test-pen worth 2$ got the solution. It was lighting up exactly as expected when conditions was set to enable grounding of the I259 pins.

One final question remains, should i need to protect the I259 pins with flyback diodes on the relays i'm going to connect?

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 10:23:12 am »
If you are asking if it's needed to protect the output, then no (they drive ignition coils). Automotive relays are simple on/off devices and diodes are usually built-in to lower the noise level.

You might need flyback diodes anyway if you use it as a PWM output, because they clamp the voltage at too high levels (400V) to have good control over solenoids.

Offline GintsK

• BHP: 50
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 12:49:36 pm »
Mattias, IMHO additional clamping diodes necessary for IAC valve only. Any other kinds of solenoids works faster with non-clamped flyback spike.

Offline tweak

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2011, 10:02:13 pm »
If you are asking if it's needed to protect the output, then no (they drive ignition coils). Automotive relays are simple on/off devices and diodes are usually built-in to lower the noise level.

You might need flyback diodes anyway if you use it as a PWM output, because they clamp the voltage at too high levels (400V) to have good control over solenoids.

I don't want to use it as a PWM output, just a simple on/off for a relay. Now its just making the relay clicking as mad. Is there a way to switch off the PWM just to make it a simple switched ground? Of course i burned one of the outputs already, trying to run a small waterpump directly (0,5A) so now  i have 1 less option to connect anything to :-[

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2011, 10:44:49 pm »
0.5A is nothing, that shouldn't kill the output. And nothing makes it "click like mad" unless you have a PWM function activated on that output. Double check the "all outputs" dialog in VemsTune, it should warn you of any conflicting outputs.

Offline tweak

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2011, 09:16:23 am »
In the late dark and freezing hour the relay was turned 90deg and the 12V was supplied directly to VEMS over a 15A fuse. I'm happy that nothing else broke. From now i'm just going to fuse everything i connect to it with separate fuses.
I was actually planning to connect 3 relays to it, had 2, but now left with only 1 output. IS there maybe some way to gain access to some other free pin?

It looks like it can be a config conflict too, the pins for ignition was not verified(reselected) after a firmware upgrade, and seems to be in conflict state, but runs fine so i did not touch it then.