Author Topic: VEMS traction control - but so much more  (Read 17485 times)

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
Re: VEMS traction control - but so much more
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2009, 01:39:42 am »
You could connect a 0-5v output from your controller to the VEMSĀ“s analog input and then connect that as a boost lowering device.

Offline mr_g

• BHP: 9
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2009, 01:40:56 am »
I could use SPI, I2C, UART... If not, would use launch control input...

Or that boost analog input...

It's not to much problem, after I utilize the TC itself. Hell, I could control wastegate directly if everything else fails... ;)

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 19
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2009, 06:16:28 am »
I have been looking at using the CAN enabled AVR chip for a couple of new projects.  I wonder if something along those lines is an option? 

CAN would be my first choice because it's a well established standard, but RS232 to pass data into the VEMS probably wouldn't be all that bad.

Unfortunately I have zero time for "home" developments at the moment, and it's not looking like changing until September when I might find myself with far too much time ;) 

Offline mr_g

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2009, 02:51:50 pm »
Are you saying that I could put AT90CAN128 on Vems 3.3 board and it would work? Isn't the canbus subroutine too demanding for the VEMS?

And ofcourse AT90CAN128 is about 5 times more expansive then ATmega128

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2009, 06:17:04 pm »
I'm not sure a CAN128 would work directly in a V3.3, but it would be really good if it did!  I could envisage a daughterboard style device which holds the CAN128, feeds the standard I/O back to the VEMS and has access to the CAN bits.  You would need the support of the VEMS software people and that's not easy so maybe it's not such a good idea after all... :(  CAN would be really nice for some things I have been experimenting with - "simple" standard interface involving no new wires!

Not sure what you mean by "too demanding for the VEMS"?  In terms of software or hardware?  (I very much doubt you could implement a software CAN bus on a VEMS.) 

Out of interest, how easy would it be to get a few (say 5 to 10) circuit boards made?  They're PTH double sided.  The snag is that I hand drew the artwork in a general CAD tool - I don't trust autorouters anyway - and made the prototype in the old fashioned way...  I can't find a way of converting to a proper circuit board format :(   I've been out of the electronics game for too long!

Offline mr_g

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2009, 08:42:18 pm »
I'm not sure a CAN128 would work directly in a V3.3, but it would be really good if it did!  I could envisage a daughterboard style device which holds the CAN128, feeds the standard I/O back to the VEMS and has access to the CAN bits.  You would need the support of the VEMS software people and that's not easy so maybe it's not such a good idea after all... :(  CAN would be really nice for some things I have been experimenting with - "simple" standard interface involving no new wires!

Daughter CAN board insn't problem, but we still have problem with interfacing daughter board to the VEMS?! SPI porheps? My TC board is acting like daughter board for VEMS, but I still dont' have a clue what interface to use, and there is no protocol set for such device like TC...

Not sure what you mean by "too demanding for the VEMS"?  In terms of software or hardware?  (I very much doubt you could implement a software CAN bus on a VEMS.) 

AT90CAN128 can be soldered on VEMS 3.x, it would fit, it has the same pinout as ATmega128, but I think software subroutines for CAN comunication is too much for VEMS firmware as ATmega128 is on it's limit with timing and flash space...

Out of interest, how easy would it be to get a few (say 5 to 10) circuit boards made?  They're PTH double sided.  The snag is that I hand drew the artwork in a general CAD tool - I don't trust autorouters anyway - and made the prototype in the old fashioned way...  I can't find a way of converting to a proper circuit board format :(   I've been out of the electronics game for too long!

Are you talking about my TC PCB? It's not a problem... I have done 10pcs already, and another 10 is not a problem... I have designed it manually in protel  but still didn't test it....

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2009, 10:18:34 pm »
No, I was talking about getting a different board made - it's to control the heater and aircon on my TVR.  I could do with having a couple of spares for demos and eventual sale and don't fancy manually aligning the artwork again...   I could use some advice as to how best to get them made from my drawings - It could do with being a separate thread I suppose.

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2009, 12:34:56 am »
I think if I can convert a set of DXF files into a Gerber (or similar) then I can get the boards made by anyone I like for not much money.  However I can't find anything to do that.