Author Topic: Several VEMS PNP problems  (Read 9620 times)

Offline fizban

• BHP: 0
Several VEMS PNP problems
« on: August 22, 2010, 03:59:08 pm »
Hi all,
First to say that i am new to ECU tuning and to this forum.  :)
I am trying to tune my VEMS PNP i got from DP-Engineering. I think the firmware is 1.0.72 (how can i verify it?)
The car works with their base map (they made the settings for my original engine, but i've already changed my pistons to Arias 8.3:1 ones  and Crower con-rods) and i am getting ready to pass MOT (Cat tests) before continuing with my project (Turbo charging a Peugeot 306 GTI6).
Unfortunately i have 3 problems, maybe you guys can help me:
1. The voltage the VEMS sees is 16v, while i see that the voltage is 14v with my AEM voltmeter. When the engine is running, of course.
2. Sometimes my tach goes crazy and gets stuck between 2-3k RPM but the real RPM stay ok (seems like an electrical problem?) I think its happening when the ECU gets hot, but i dont see any problems in the ECU functionality.
3. I worked with AEM WBO2 and i am trying to connect the WB DP gave me. I've connected it according to their instructions and trying to calibrate it via the mini terminal. I see in Mandlp02 that the o2 is 13.4 after heater on.  The maximum i get is 16.6 with constant of 255 (which is the maximum). I see that the heater values change after i turn it on, but i dont feel the sensor heating.

I can provide some log files and my map tomorrow, once i am back at the office (i left my lap top there).
I would appreciate any help.
Cheers!

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
Re: Several VEMS PNP problems
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 01:27:15 am »
In the first instance you need to be talking to DP.
The battery calibration does seem to be off which would give the incorrect battery reading, the rest sounds a little bit strange.

Offline fizban

Offline GintsK

• BHP: 50
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 07:34:30 am »
Sorry, the page (or document) you have requested is not available.

Please check the address and try again.

Also verify your firmware.  If you have LCD it shows it at startup. If no, you can find it header of vemsV3.ini file. It is possible also trough Miniterminal in Megatune by typing some commands... You should type Man and respective command from refcard.pdf  (you can document it in wiki). Also you can try Vemstune - it will show FW at startup if it is not older than 1.0.74

1.0.72. is very old firmware. And not released one.
stable firmwares was 1.0.74, 1.1.27, 1.1.53, 1.1.74, 1.1.78. If it is new install better to upgrade FW first. Later migration will be more painful. New FWes has tons of advantages.

Gints

Offline fizban

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 08:11:19 am »
Thanks for the info. I've made the files public. They should be accessible now.
I got the VEMS two years ago, i guess thats why the firmware is so old. I'll check how to upgrade the firmware and pray. :)
The header of the vmesV3.ini is ; vems.ini for Megatune2.25 + vems firmware 1.0.x (stable1_0 branch)

In Megatune - when i switch to online mode, the title of the window is changed to: Megatune 2.25 - VEMS Genboard v3, 1.0.72
Is this sufficient enough to say that i have 1.0.72?

btw, i took the megatune version from http://www.dp-engineering.nl/random/VEMS_PnP/VemsMT1.0.72_PnP_FIH.zip

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 08:16:38 am »
DP have rolled some of their own software (Dave was involved with the development of the system from very early on), and the PNP is their own development.
This is why I suggest you wait for them to get back in contact with you.

Offline fizban

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 08:25:07 am »
Noted, Rob. I will wait for DP's reply.
Meanwhile, i'll calibrate the voltmeter values, comparing it with a multimeter read. At least i can do that for now.

Offline fizban

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 12:45:42 pm »
A little update and a question.
I managed to calibrate the voltage.
However, DP is not answering me (they did ask to check voltage and stuff for the WBO2, tests which were successful). However, i still cannot et a good o2 reading, i even tried a different sensor (same catalog number) , but both of them do not get heated even though i do see voltage increase when i turn the heater on.
Since i am using an AEM gauge which can send 0-5v output to ECU. Can i just connect it to the relevant pin in the VEMS to get a reading of the WB through VEMS and finally get decent logging and closed loop?