Author Topic: Help setting up trigger and coil outputs 36-1, 4 cylinder wasted spark  (Read 7402 times)

Offline qwkswede

• BHP: 0
I'm getting closer to a real startup on my Volvo now. But I don't think I got everything right with the trigger and coil triggers. I thought I understood it, but I have been cranking the engine with no fuel and trying to get a visual on the timing marks with a timing light. But im not getting anything close to what I need. I have been tweaking things and making some guesses based on some other configs I have found. And maybe I have it right now... Maybe. I'll attach my working config file here, maybe someone can take a look at it and see if my trigger and coil output settings look reasonable? This isn't the version I was trying to crank my car with last night. I haven't tried this one on the car yet since I changed to a 4 output setup. But Im hoping to try this one tonight.

So Here is the hardware.
Im using a Ford 36-1 tooth trigger wheel. With the #1 cylinder at TDC the crank sensor points to the 9th tooth after the missing tooth, which should be 90deg. This is a 4 cylinder Volvo engine, and I'm running a 2 channel wasted spark coil. It was all working with Megasquirt on the same coil/trigger setup, so im quite certain everything is OK hardware wise, minus alot of rewiring. The VEMS is the only change here. I am using ignition channels 0 and 1 (pins 35 and 33 respectively) on VEMS 36 pin plug for the output.

I'm on VEMS config version 1.1.69 and VEMStune for tuning.

Here is what I have in the "h" lines of the config file, lifted from the config file, so hex format:
h[0]=01 02 04 08 10 20 40 80
h[1]=00 12 00 12 28 14 00 00
h[2]=00 10 00 10 20 10 50 50

The Primary Trigger settings tab above is shown here, and I get an RPM signal. So I think I have this right now. So I suspect the output settings to be wrong here.

In the VEMStune "ignition outputs table",Does this correspond to the h[2] line above?
On the "Ignition Settings" tab I have:

And this one:

And the one I am most confused about:

Here is a link to my current config file. Maybe someone can take a quick gander and see if there is anything else grossly out of line.
http://denverspeed.com/Files/VEMS/!irene_test.vemscfg

Thanks in advance. This forum is just what I needed to push through some of these issues.
Project car: 1998 Volvo 745 Turbo - Aiming for 11s in 2010.
Blog: http://www.denverspeed.com/

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 41
    • Sävar Turbo Site
Your reference tooth table should read: 0,  54, 36, 18
4-stroke cycle is two revolutions.

Offline qwkswede

But I'm firing the coils like a 2-stroke with wasted spark. This might be what threw me off. I'll try yours. You actually have cars that run.

Offline qwkswede

Yes, a bit of success. It fires the coils now. So I plugged in the injectors and got it to run a little bit. I used the settings for coil and triggers that I came up with to get the wasted spark working. I had. 0,18,0,18. in the trigger reference table. That makes sense to me.

I have uncovered another problem though. My idle valve settings seem to be firing one or all of the fuel injectors. After the engine dies, the injectors pulse with the frequency in my IAC pwm settings. I know this because I changed the setting because I thought it sounded strange at first. The frequency changed, but I felt around and noticed it was my injectors pulsing, not the idle motor running. so its pouring fuel into the cylinders for a second or two after the engine dies.  very strange. I have my idle valve connected to injector channel 8, pin 17. Is there something that would cause this to be coupled to the other injector channels?

Offline GintsK

• BHP: 50
Your reference tooth table should read: 0,  54, 36, 18
4-stroke cycle is two revolutions.
I supposed if camsync not used, Ecu reset counting simply at next missing and never sees value 54 ...Is not right?
Configs like 18-0-18-0 works.