Author Topic: Newest VEMStunes not working with Prolific USBs again?  (Read 10626 times)

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 19
Newest VEMStunes not working with Prolific USBs again?
« on: March 26, 2010, 06:28:17 am »
VEMStune versions 2010-02-05-testing and 2010-03-08-testing do not work with my USB to serial devices (again)

Laptop is Fujitsu Siemens with Windows7.  VEMStune 2009-12-14-testing seems to work OK, and Megatune works OK too, so there is nothing wrong with the config of the computer.

I've been round this loop before and a patch was applied to make it work.  It looks like this hasn't been carried to the new versions.

Thanks

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 41
    • Sävar Turbo Site
Re: Newest VEMStunes not working with Prolific USBs again?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 08:48:06 am »
Windows XP on a single core 1.5 GHz P3 Mobile here (IBM laptop R32), works just fine and did since the problem was first solved.

What's the new pattern? Windows 7? 64-bit? dual-core?

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 03:45:53 pm »
32 bit, dual core.  You can read the OS version from the original post.  Laptop is the same as I have always used for VEMStune. 

I upgrade VEMStune, and no go.  The only elements in my setup that are in any way in doubt are the Prolofic USB devices (dodgy things at the best of times) and VEMStune.  Since the USB devices work with everything else I have on the same laptop, I am forced to conclude again that VEMStune is the culprit.

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 06:10:15 pm »
you have to update the Inter write delay for every new VT.

It happened on mine as well.

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 06:59:46 am »
I did.  No go.
But my "working version" works correctly straight after install. 

Offline Sambas

• Sandwiches
  • BHP: 15
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 12:09:09 am »
If someone with communication problem could try this build and report if that works better? http://kotisivu.dnainternet.net/sakrkorh/vems/Vemstune-VS-100410.zip
It's unofficial test build made today, might be missing parts or have unfinished features enabled, but I'm interested in how does communication work with this. On one setup it fixed gauge flicker and corrupted config upload problem.
Firmware, Software and Hardware

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 04:10:51 am »
Will give it a go in the morning.

Offline qwkswede

• BHP: 0
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 12:27:43 am »
I'm having problems too. I'll give it a try later today.
Project car: 1998 Volvo 745 Turbo - Aiming for 11s in 2010.
Blog: http://www.denverspeed.com/

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 03:07:01 am »
Sambas version seems to work.

Offline qwkswede

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 01:34:00 pm »
This improves things for me too. Is the ve tune by statistics disabled in Samba's version?

I'm having problems too. I'll give it a try later today.

Offline Sambas

• Sandwiches
  • BHP: 15
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 10:53:54 pm »
New build http://kotisivu.dnainternet.net/sakrkorh/vems/Vemstune-VS-270410.zip Now it should be very similar to official release. Please report any problems and also improvements compared to official release. In vista and win7 you should not install it into Program files folder or you have to run it as Admin.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 01:47:30 am by Sambas »
Firmware, Software and Hardware

Offline qwkswede

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 03:54:39 am »
This new version crashes a lot for me, especially when the logger is running. The longest log I have recorded is about a minute, and then the computer usually dies with a blue error screen.

Also, when I close vemstune, or it crashes. A "vemstune" process will continue to run that I can't close. It also ties up the usb/serial port so that I can't start a new instance and connect.

I"m back to your previous experimental release. Its the most stable so far. It crashes only occasionally.

New build http://kotisivu.dnainternet.net/sakrkorh/vems/Vemstune-VS-270410.zip Now it should be very similar to official release. Please report any problems and also improvements compared to official release. In vista and win7 you should not install it into Program files folder or you have to run it as Admin.

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 41
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 06:35:17 am »
A bluescreen can only be the result of a buggy driver. There is no way that an application can cause the crash directly, only indirectly through drivers that are closer to the hardware.

I think you'll find that Sambas have found/fixed a few bugs since last, a new test release is coming soon.

Offline GintsK

• BHP: 50
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 05:07:36 pm »
Bluescreen. Why then MT or other applications not cause blue screens? I did not saw blue screen on my laptop since I use them. Same with my friend. We have old-good T40...T42 Thinkpads with XP.
But prolifc driver are always some mystery. I use the old one from wiki. Others can freeze Megatune. But not with blue screens.
Saturday I had case where was not possible to communicate with car using Prolific and 1.1.70
At same day I connected to three other cars with same 1.1.70. For some reason FDTI works with no problem on mentioned car.

Gints