Author Topic: SD Card logging - how to -  (Read 16490 times)

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 41
    • Sävar Turbo Site
Re: SD Card logging - how to -
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2010, 01:13:53 pm »
Mattias: what version is your board?  I am using v3.2 #112.  I have not seen any minimum board specifications for the SD card logger- did I miss anything?
I don't see how that matters, I've tried and failed on both very old v3.2 and brand new v3.6 boards.
The datalog card can be used on all board versions, as long as the firmware supports it.

Quote from: Jim_W
Quote from: mattias
you won't get anywhere with what has been suggested earlier
Do you know of something that has not been published that might help?  We should at least update the wiki pages with workarounds and to set everyone's expectations.
I'm pretty sure the developers will focus on this issue soon, just wait a while. I'm guessing a firmware upgrade and new VemsTune version is required to fix this.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 01:15:29 pm by mattias »

Offline Arvid

• BHP: 2
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2010, 02:33:29 pm »
I have tested vemstune 2010.08.11, and SD card logging works perfectly. :) Could not get SD card logging to work with vemstune 2010.07.19.

My computer: Acer core2duo Windows 7 64 bit. Firmware - 1.1.80

Looks like the developers have made some changes with SD card logging. The only thing I miss is a change log.
It would be much easier to test the new changes in the software.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 02:36:03 pm by Arvid »

Offline Jim_W

• BHP: 5
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2010, 04:30:47 am »
I tried again today and still cannot get the logger to work.  Firmware version 1.1.74, VemsTune 12-02-2010 commModel_testing.  SD Card baud rate decreased to 57600.  The Erase function seems to work but when I try to view the data on the SD card, the "SD Log Opening" dialog stays open for over 10 minutes and says "Searching: 256".  After about 2 minutes, the message changes to "Searching: 258".  After another 2 minutes or so, the message changes to "Searching 257" and stays that way until I force VemsTune to close.

Does the SD card logging depend on the "engine running" flag to actually write data to the SD card?  Is it possible to write data to the SD card while the engine is not running using the "SD Card Log -> Start" and "SD Card Log -> Stop"?

Do the settings in the "Outputs -> Display Settings" menu have any affect on the SD card logging? I thought these might be related since the logger and LCD communicate through the same physical interface.

What is the expected delay between selecting "SD Card Extended overview" and seeing a summary of the data on the card?

What is the behavior of "SD Card Extended overview" when no data exists on the card?

I'm pretty frustrated with the SD card logging at this point.  I would love to have it working before the new motor goes in.

Offline lugnuts

• BHP: 2
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2010, 07:51:25 am »
I had many problems from day one in 2010 trying to use the SD card logging.
It was frustrating to find that simply changing the baud rate to 57,xxx fixed the problem, as I had already
lost valuable data from several record runs that would have been critical to see.
I feel it was not good idea to select the 115,xxx baudrate as a default in the software.

I was (successfully) using the SD card logging a lot over the last few months.
Search my name, there is another post going in which I posted some experiences.

I was using 8-11 vemstune for a while. Then 11-15.

I'm on a straight serial port. Dell laptop running Windows XP.

The newer com-model versions gave me some trouble a few weeks ago, just general
connection-disconnection. issues if I recall correctly.

Also of note, the last race I was at in November, my SD Card downloading acted up again with the Serial port,
so I used the webshop serial-USB adapter for the weekend. 

I would really like to find out why that was. 

It would be great to have someone who really knows about computers make us a check-list for
diagnosing and fixing communications issues.  Serial port should never ever be a problem.

I hope future development of VemsTune allows reliable Serial port operation.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 07:54:54 am by lugnuts »