Author Topic: VEMS Install in a TVR/RV8  (Read 6965 times)

Offline Wildfire

• BHP: 0
VEMS Install in a TVR/RV8
« on: November 24, 2009, 11:13:15 pm »
Hi guys

I have inherited (sort of) a VEMS unit, wire and a load of sensors from my brother, who has shelved plans to fit it to his Mini.

So I am considering fitting it to my 4.0 TVR Griffith, it will be a while coming, due to schedule, other bits needing doing on the car, money etc.

Anyhow I just wanted to make sure I have everything that I need listed, to buy, before I start planning the actual install.

Does this look good?

VEMS Unit
Wideband Lambda Sensor
Air Temperature Sensor
Coolant Tempeerature Sensor
EGT Sensor
MAP Sensor
Wire to E36 Plug
Wire to E19 Plug
Trigger Wheel
Spacer
Hall Sensor
Hall Sensor Bracket
EDIS 8 System + Coil Packs
2nd Gen EDIS Leads
VEMS LCD Unit
Mini Fuse Box/Breaker Box
Various Selad Connectors
Spare E36 Connector M+F
Spare E19 Connector M+F
Serial Cable

Cheers

Offline Sprockets

• BHP: 5
Re: VEMS Install in a TVR/RV8
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 12:13:53 am »
You seem pretty well set there, and seems like a good project.  The man to ask for this setup is the tvr/rover v8 man DnB :)

Your best bet is to read his members page http://www.vems.hu/wiki/index.php?page=MembersPage%2FDavidBlades which should cover most of the things you need to know :)

I take it your current setup is from the prince of darkness? (Lucas to all the non brits :p )  If so, it will be a vast improvement!

-Gavin

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 01:36:10 am »
This unit is one I sold to a classmate that he has not sold over to his brother.

Offline GintsK

• BHP: 50
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 01:42:01 am »
Does anyone knows - are EDIS still supported? I do not remeber any nowadays install with this.

Offline Wildfire

• BHP: 0
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 03:51:21 pm »
This unit is one I sold to a classmate that he has not sold over to his brother.

If you're on Engineering in Derby, then, yes, that's the unit. I'm not planning on doing the install for a while, as I need to get the rest of the car up to scratch before I start thinking about taking the ECU and stuff out of the car. I actually need talk to my brother and sort out all the pricing etc....

Yes, I'm running the Lucas ECU, but it's been remapped by Mark Adams, using his Tornado chip. But I'd like better control of the ignition amongst other things. My brother says I should pick up more torque.

Can I run wasted spark on the VEMS unit? Is this going to be easier to set up than sequential?

Will I need a cam sensor?

If I can't use EDIS, what should I be looking at?

Offline GintsK

• BHP: 50
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 05:51:54 pm »
You can run VEMS injectors in whatever you want mode. Sequential (even with no cam sensor), paired, bacth, all injectors at once...
EDIS ignition coil is easily possible run directly from VEMS without EDIS module. In wasted spark mode of course. Also VEMS can use EDIS crank sensor.
Cam sensor allows run sequential phased injection. It means injector of given cylinder will be fired at same phase after every start up. It is your choice. Engine will run without this sensor too.

Gints

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 19
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 09:14:33 pm »
You have 2 options for wasted spark without cam sync:

A pair of EDIS (or any other wasted spark coils) or 8 individual coils where you fire 2 of them per cycle using the "dual out" option. 

You don't need the EDIS8 unit itself - it doesn't add anything useful to the mix.  VEMS can drive most coils directly using the IGBT channels and has good native spark timing control.

I found it easier to throw away all the Lucas wiring loom (apart from the pair of connectors that go to the car body loom) and make a completely new loom - you will need to add shielded cables for the trigger and a wire to each injector instead of 1 wire per 4 injectors (don't do 2 channel batch fire if you can help it...) and at least 4 signal wires to the coil anyway, so it's easier to start again and get rid of ALL of the lucas problems in one hit.   

The Lucas coolant temperature sensor is OK for VEMS.  I have a calibration file you can have if you want.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 09:19:38 pm by dnb »