Author Topic: new to vems. failing at first hurdle  (Read 34193 times)

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
Re: new to vems. failing at first hurdle
« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2009, 12:07:35 am »
Yes, that's all you need for a spark.

Offline Hutchie

• BHP: 1
« Reply #61 on: December 31, 2009, 02:17:26 am »
reading through a few threads on here, would h [2] entries maybe halting my progress? how to i look at, change them?

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2009, 02:43:35 am »
They're your Ignition outputs in MegaTune

Offline Hutchie

« Reply #63 on: December 31, 2009, 03:23:00 am »
how do i know if my ecu is fucked. it just has no output at all

i may just go to omex and i would have the car running in a week FFS

Offline Sprocket

• BHP: 29
« Reply #64 on: December 31, 2009, 05:02:13 am »
You are not helping us by not providing either the config files, of which I have explained where you can find the information to gather those, or if that is too complicated, screen shots of the menus that are of question.

Without explaining everything here, have a read of this http://www.vems.hu/wiki/index.php?page=MembersPage%2FPhatBob%2FUserGuide if you havent already, then, ask the questions about the missing bits.

Also have a look over these

http://www.vems.hu/manual/html/
http://www.vems.hu/manual/html/ch12s02.html

Reference tooth h[1] table should look something like this for a four cylinder wasted spark with 62-2 trigger

0 being TDC and 32 being BDC

Ignition output h[2] table should look something like this

0...................EC36
1...................EC34

EC34 being coil 1 (cylinders1+4) and EC36 being coil 2 (cylinders 2+3) (these numbers depend on which is coil 1 and which is coil 2, if coil 1 is EC36, put 34 where 36 is and 36 where 34 is)

Also make sure the 'Ignition outputs in use in h[2]' is set to 01..00

What is happening within the firmware is that you are linking the ECU output hardware/ ignition coils in the order that it fires the coil (Ignition output table h[2]), and then you are linking that with the actual phase of the engine (reference tooth table h[1]). This results in the coil 1 firing on cylinders 1 and 4 at or near TDC on cylinder 1 and 4. (the tables run from bottom to top, remember this!!!)

So to recap, coil 1 ---> EC34 ---> h[2]1......EC34 ---> h[1]1........0

It is done this way which makes it infinately configurable, or, as the makers would have us use, Versatile ;D you can connect the ignition coils to any ignition output, yet you can still configure the firmware so that you get the end result. It has gotten me out of a pickle a few times being able to do this.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 05:20:45 am by Sprocket »

Offline Hutchie

« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2009, 06:07:19 am »
thanks guys for all your help, i appreciate that you didnt have to help, but you have.

i need a reliable car.

anyone wanna buy a vems???

Offline Sprocket

• BHP: 29
« Reply #66 on: December 31, 2009, 06:56:56 am »
Not being funny mate but it took me 4 weeks to get to a running engine starting completely from scratch as you have, and its taken another 2 1/2 years to get to the where I am now. Programable EFI needs a fairly good understanding of how an engine works, otherwise its going to cost a fortune to get some one else to do it all for you. Also worth noting is that ANY low to mid priced system will NEVER compare with an OEM factory ECU. With Omex, you would benefit from there being tuning houses that can readily fit and set up the system, but you will pay for it in more ways than one. As for reliability, that is subjective, as reliability in my eyes is an OEM factory ECU, but if the engine is so far from standard that the OEM ECU cannot cope, then you are going to have to put up with a comprimise.

Just a thought, but if you borrowed another manufacturers ECU, was it already set up for it to work, who set it up, and could you not ask their help?

I would also suggest you buy and read this book at the very least http://www.amazon.co.uk/Engine-Management-Optimising-Carburettors-High-performance/dp/1859608353/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262220579&sr=8-1

Which ever way you go about it, you will still need at least 2-3 hours on the dyno

Offline Hutchie

« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2009, 07:46:49 am »
the other ecu that i did have on the car, a borrowed one, although it had the TDC already configured i had the rest to setup myself. two light weekends messing about had the car running really really well.

months messing with the vems system, and i now dont have an RPM anymore. Im sorry i cant cope with that progress.

I have been a mechanic for a few years now, and always had an intrest in cars. but me and the vems ECU have not had a good relationship, and unfortunately a devorce is sure to happen.

i have decided that i am going with a company called tour-de-force. i have had legthy phone calls with matt there and we have come up with a simple solution.

thank you very much for your advise.

hutchie
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 07:55:28 am by Hutchie »

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2010, 12:29:31 am »
TDF are not that far from me - where are you?