Author Topic: I am completely new to VEMS can you help  (Read 5302 times)

Offline JT

• BHP: 0
I am completely new to VEMS can you help
« on: October 23, 2009, 02:30:30 am »
Hi my name is John and i have just registered today, i apologise if my questions are everyday questions to you but good advice from people in the know is what i am after.

I am running a 1990 325i E30 with a 2.5 M20 engine which hopefully will end up as a 2.7. The car is road legal but mainly a track day car now.

A bit of history on the car.

I have owned the car since 2005 and but in the last twelve months it has become more of a track day car and i have fitted it out with the following:-

Safety devices cage
GAZ coilover kit
3.5 litre air flow meter
big bore throttle body
larger injectors
six branch manifold
S/S exhaust system
chipped uk IC in the ecu
electric fan
cold feed enclosed air filter
additional high pressure fuel pump
swirl pot
seats, harnesses etc

Now that i have done the above i am after even more power like most people on here i suspect.

My next step is to bin the air flow meter and fit a standalone ecu.

My questions are what do you get equipment wise from VEMS and what do i need to source seperately.

How many people have done an E30 conversion and what sort of results have they had.

If i set the system up for the 2.5 is it easily reprogrammed for a 2.7.

Which is the best route to take standard version or motronic version, ideally plug play and forget would be nice.

Where can i buy it from and how much do i need to budget for.

Is there anybody in the yorkshire area with a VEMS setup that i can have a look at.

There is probably a load more questions but i dont want to annoy everybody in my first post.

Thanks in advance.

John

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
Re: I am completely new to VEMS can you help
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 06:49:56 am »
#1. You need a Air temp sensor, TPS , map sensor, rest is in the m20 harness.

#2. Unknown amount of people have done E30 VEMS setups with a unknown amount of engine configurations.
Basically saying that if it´s a BMW engine ., it´ll be a cake walk.

#3. Yes a 2.5 setup will easily suit a 2.7

#4. Standard version, forget a PnP setup as you´ll not benefit nothing. The engine is way unsuited as it is.

#5. Contact the local dealer in your country, What country is it???

#6. Yorkshire isn´t that far away from me. But don´t worry I can help you out no matter what.

#7. Don´t worry about the questions. I´ve installed loads of VEMS´s on M20´s and tuned them.
If you do things right you´ll get great results.

Offline JT

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 03:26:59 pm »
Gunni,

Thanks for the reply.

Do you have part numbers for the MAP, TPS and air temp sensor or do you know which cars they are from.

Do i need a wide band sensor for the exhaust as well?

With the standard version can i still use a motronic connector that the existing harness will plug into, this way if the install goes pear shaped i can simply plug the original ecu back in?

I presume rob@vems.co.uk is the UK dealer?

I don't mind traveling down to have a chat when you have got time, probably when i am further on with the job.

Thanks

John

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 04:14:14 pm »
The MAP sensor would be built into the ecu.
TPS you can pick up off a E36 M50 engine or when you order the ecu, Air temp sensor can also come from a M50 engine or you get get it when you order the ecu.

And yes you need a wideband sensor fro the exhaust.

You can use the motronic connector. I have done it a couple of times for people with success. But there some original harness mod required but I can talk you through them easy enough.

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 04:54:45 pm »
I'm not the UK dealer, I was/am a support Agent, there isn't really a dealer network as it stands.

Offline JT

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 05:03:27 pm »
Gunni, thanks for the reply, i have had a better response from this forum than any other. If you were going to build an engine would you build the 2.7 or the 2.8 and which cam would you use (just for future reference).

Rob, can you let me know where to order from and what parts to order (prices if possible), i have just found out that i am having an operation on my shoulder at the end of November so i am more likely to be doing the engine management system over winter rather than the 2.7 build.

Thanks

John

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 05:19:16 pm »
Gunni should be able to answer all of your questions mate.