Technical > Wiring & Sensors

what cable to use

(1/3) > >>

ex-ctr:
hi all, im new to this and would like to know what cable is best to use with which sensor, like tps, airtemp, cas and so on, would be nice if i could get a part number as well [maplins]

dnb:
TPS, air temperature etc (basically all the ones that are desguised resistors) can have "normal" unshielded wires.

I used the Thinwall 32/0.20mm stuff from www.vehiclewiringproducts.co.uk.  It's available in nearly every colour under the sun, and I'd encourage you to draw up a colour chart to make debugging the wiring easier in the future...  (Maplin do not sell cable like this)  It's OK to use this for injectors stuff too. 

For the triggers, knock sensor (and possibly a couple of wires in the wideband O2), you should use good quality shielded cable.  I used "shielded microphone cable" from Maplins, but I forget the part no...   

rob@vems.co.uk:
Sensors are all pretty low voltage and current so you can use thin stuff 0.5mm dia or there abouts.
The higher voltages and currents are on the injectors and coils for these I use 1.0mm dia stuff.
For the earth wires I'd recommend 1.0mm dia wire to the common earth point, then the UserGuide suggests that a cable with an area of 6mm is used, which is about 2mm dia.  For the common earth I'd say the thicker the better TBH.

As a rule I pretty much follow what the stock wiring loom has.

Have you looked at RS online?  They do spools of wire which might end up cheaper than Maplins.

Also its worth looking at ebay, I found this a while ago:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BULK-WORTH-PVC-1-0mm-VEHICLE-WIRE-FLRY-AUTOELECTRICS_W0QQitemZ130073233152QQihZ003QQcategoryZ30928QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item130073233152

dnb:
I have to confess to using bling 8AWG and 4AWG OFC cable for my earth wires :D

rob@vems.co.uk:
For your CAS sensor you are going to want a 4 core sheilded wire, something like this:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=137&doy=26m1&C=SEO&U=strat15

Rob

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version